Here’s a quick round up of some useful imaging applications for portable Android and Apple devices.
- Cell Imaging HD. Molecular Probes cell imaging guide with protocols. This mobile app is designed to help you find fluorescent dyes, reagents and protocols for cell biology related fluorescence microscopy applications.
- Fluorescence SpectraViewer. Plot and compare spectra, check the spectral compatibility for many fluorophores and email the configuration to yourself or to others in the lab in a clear printable format.
- Leica DMShare. Allows wireless transfer of microscopy images from the latest Leica camera systems to one or more Android devices.
- Microscopy and Analysis journal. The leading international magazine for microscopists. Loads of interesting articles, features and news on microscopy and imaging.
- Smart Histology. Microscope emulation that allows zooming and panning of over 100-histological tissues. A free LITE version is also available so that you can try before you buy.
- Molecular Probes 3D Cell App. Learn about the cell and all its structures in 3D on Apple portable devices. Enjoy the ability to rotate the cell 360 degrees and zoom in on any cell structure.
- Zeiss microscopy apps. Compendium of Zeiss microscopy apps specifically for Apple portable devices (Light Lab, Zen Browser, Zen remote, Labscope, Matscope)
If you wish to use your smartphone camera as a rudimentary digital magnifier just search ‘microscope’ in either the Google Play or iTunes App stores – there’s loads to choose from. Instructions available here showing how to build a perspex support stage with transmitted light illumination for your smartphone. If you want anything more sophisticated, take a look at this.