Celebrating teaching excellence

Q & A with Alison James (Senior Fellow)

21 April 2020
Alison James, Adult Nursing

Name: Alison H James, Senior Fellow

Job title/Role: Senior Lecturer, Adult Nursing

School/College: School of Healthcare Sciences

When did you become a Senior Fellow? December 2019

Why did you decide to apply for an Advance HE Fellowship? I applied and achieved a Fellowship initially in 2017 and decided to apply for Senior Fellowship in June 2019.

How has being a Fellow had an impact on what you do? Being a Fellow has allowed me to continue to establish my commitment to teaching, learning and the student experience in higher education by reflecting on experience and aligning practice with the requirements of the University and the UKPSF. Through reflection and application of theory, it encourages my personal development and provides opportunities to consider further areas for improving my own skills, thereby improving my ability to support student learning.

How do you envisage being a Senior Fellow/National Teaching Fellow impacting on your future and any upcoming projects/work? I hope to continue to engage with the development and networking opportunities the Fellowship enables and contribute further to support colleagues and students within higher education.

What advice would you give to colleagues thinking of applying for Senior Fellowship or National Teaching Fellowship? I found the Fellowship Category Tool helpful to establish my current level and also to aspire to the next. When reflecting on experience in this process, you realise the potential and expertise gained throughout your career and this encourages you to further develop.

Find out more about Senior and Principal Fellowship and how to apply 

Find out more about our National Teaching Fellows and how to apply  

You can also visit the Advance HE website or email us CESI@cardiff.ac.uk 

Keen an eye on the blog for more profiles on our current Senior and Principal Fellows and National Teaching Fellows.