Latest posts

If Innovation is the ‘Next Big Thing’, where does that leave Lean?

Posted on 5 February 2019 by Sarah Lethbridge

Sarah Lethbridge and Maneesh Kumar As a lean devotee, it is very easy for me to answer the question “How lean can we go” with “all the way …. naturally!” But as true lean thinkers, it is right that we should constantly review the relevance of lean and try to better understand how the methodology
Read more

Cafés, Restaurants and Lean

Lean moves through sectors in waves.   It can safely be declared that the most mature application of lean thinking is within the automotive industry, the industry where it all began! Other sectors are altogether newer to the lean approach however. Most recently, there appears to be a current up-swell of interest in lean within the University
Read more

Services and Standards: Stand Off or Stand Up?

“To understand Toyota’s success, you have to unravel the paradox – you have to see that the rigid specification is the very thing that makes the flexibility and creativity possible” Decoding the DNA of the Toyota Production System. Spear and Bowen, 1999.  “The specialisation and standardisation of work …. lead to more handovers, fragmentation of
Read more

Economies of Scale vs. Economies of Flow

Posted on 24 October 2018 by Sarah Lethbridge

Often when I’m teaching, I find myself skulking amongst the middle ground of contrasting ideas. Sometimes I’m even perilously perched atop of a massive fence dividing two opinions. Sometimes I’m in the middle ground of contrasting ideas, sat on the fence of indecision, whilst rocking back and forth muttering “it depends”. I think that one
Read more