Doctoral Academy team

Meet our team!

7 February 2024

We are thrilled to have recruited several new members of staff over the last few months, and look forward to the changes and improvements we will be able to make with our new team in place.

Here, Community Development and Engagement Officer Bethany Fairhurst and Learning and Development Officer Sophia Wigley introduce themselves and tell us what they’re excited to bring to the Doctoral Academy and to our postgraduate research community.

Hello, I’m Beth. I’m your Postgraduate Research Student Community Development and Engagement Officer. My job is to help you to develop a range of skills and experiences outside of your individual research area. 

Before working at Cardiff University,  I completed my PhD in social sciences at the University of Huddersfield and worked at Huddersfield Students’ Union with student representatives to improve student experiences.

You’ll see me around the Doctoral Academy building at Museum Place and at various Doctoral Academy events and training sessions. I’m looking forward to meeting more PGRs, hearing about your research and developing our postgraduate research community together!

Hello, I’m Sophia. I’m your Doctoral Academy Learning and Development Officer. In my role I facilitate the enhancement and delivery of Cardiff University’s learning and development environment for postgraduate research students. This includes identifying priorities as well as coordinating and delivering learning and development opportunities. I also help to build communities of practice as well as supporting submissions of studentship bids.

I started my career in Higher Education in Students’ Unions working in Student Voice and Representation. I then moved over to Cardiff University where I have worked for over seven years with my work focusing on student experience and engagement. I have Prince2 qualifications in Project Management and have been involved in and led multiple projects that have focused on enhancing the student experience.

I am passionate about student led change and hope to get your input on the work we do. You can find me in the Doctoral Academy building and I look forward to meeting you at our events.