Our team

Meet Charis Francis, our Student Engagement Officer

1 August 2023
Person smiling

Charis Francis, Student Engagement Officer in the Student Engagement team in the Learning and Teaching Academy tells us about her role, projects and career history.

Tell us about your career history

I attended Cardiff University as a Business Management students. During my placement year, I worked as a Student Engagement Assistant within the Learning and Teaching Academy. I enjoyed it so much that I continued within this role part-time alongside my studies for the remainder of my course. When it ended, I worked as a Student Voice Officer at Cardiff University’s Student Union, until coming back as a Student Engagement Officer.

What does your role involve and how long have you been in the role?

My role is primarily a survey and data analysis role however I am involved in a range of different student voice activities such as survey promotion, student engagement communications, survey management group, the annual Student Academic Rep review, and helping lead the Student Champions scheme. I am heavily involved in the main annual student surveys such as the National Student Survey, Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught Survey, Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, and Module Enhancement. Additionally, I have been assisting in the Education Performance Oversight Group to enhance Student Experience.

What projects/tasks are you currently working on within your role?

I am currently working on increasing National Student Survey, CUPTS, and PRES response rates, ready for data analysis in the summer. We have just had our annual Student Champion Poster Exhibition, which took place in person for the first time this year and was a great way of showcasing the success of the scheme.

What do you do in your spare time?

I’ve started running 3 times a week with a club to get my fitness up. Other than that, I’m a huge fan of going out to restaurants for food, spending time with my dogs, and binge watching Below Deck and Married At First Sight (Australia).

Read more from Charis and her experience at this year’s Student Champion Poster Exhibition.