Digital education

Summer placement project – Digital Learning Environment Blackboard Ultra digital resources

18 October 2022
Person typing on a laptop

How we kicked off the project and what happened in the first couple of weeks

This year’s student placement project was carefully aligned with the targeted rollover of Blackboard Ultra virtual learning environment. With this in mind, we opened the applications to students who would be interested in enhancing their skills and knowledge in supporting the creation and design of digital guides and help resources for new Ultra courses in Cardiff University’s digital learning environment.

Successful candidates, Luke Powell from Cardiff Business School (Year 3 – BSc Accounting and Finance) and Morgan Bedford also from Cardiff Business School (Year 2 – BSc Business Management, International) joined the Digital Education Team at the beginning of the summer.

Prior to any video production, they undertook our induction session, they were provided with numerous help resources to help them to learn about the Ultra environment and get them started with different aspects of the system. By the end of the first week, we established the working patterns, project requirements, team expectations and work schedule with specific tasks and outcomes. Team catch ups and completion of tasks on weekly basis were preferred by everyone.

An important aspect of the project involved reflective practice. It helped us to think about our own experiences and actions.

Given that the project ran during the summer period over only 6 weeks, the students accomplished an impressive set of outcomes. They were able to co-ordinate specific aspects of the project by themselves, they actively contributed to team’s discussions and engaged with given tasks.

A collection of short introduction and navigation videos, help guides, and step-by-step written instructions were designed and created. Resources focused on giving the students the best possible overview and start to get them to understand the new digital learning environment.

Next steps and reflections

Students brought their personal and professional experiences to the project. It certainly feels like they gained a lot of valuable skills and have become confident team members, individually and collectively. The aims of this project were mostly met; the enhancement to support the students using the new digital learning environment and making the structure and course materials simpler for students to consider and ‘digest’ with ease were accomplished.

Over the next few weeks, Cardiff University students will be able to find and familiarise themselves with these new resources on their intranet and within the new Ultra environment.

Members of the team contributed their reflection, thoughts and ideas of the project:

Marianna’s reflection:

Personally, I thought that the project achieved great set of outcomes and students were able to actively contribute with their ideas and suggestions.

For me, the most important element of the project was the communication. Having established the Teams channel as our main place to go, gave me confidence and peace of mind. Students were able to ask questions, confirm specific elements of some of the tasks and also reach out to individual members of the team. We focused on outcomes and not problems.

I also appreciated that wider digital education team were able to step in when core members of this project were on annual leave. This was down to flawless conversations, agreements and willingness to help each other during the summer holiday season.

I wish we had more time to dedicate to the project. However, I believe that students have gained valuable real-work skills, they invested into their professional and emotional engagement, they have, without a doubt, made a positive impact to a wider student community which will provide a mutual benefit to the University, students and staff.

Jacob’s reflection:

I thought the student placement project was great as an idea and should be continued, however I think due to the time of year it took place as well as the current rollout of Ultra that we were not able to get as much out of it as we otherwise could.

If this type of project is done again it would be interesting to have it focused around a more established section of the student experience.

Since Ultra was and is still changing it was difficult at times to provide an adequate play area for the student placement colleagues.

As for my personal growth I find that having worked with students was a great boon to my understanding of what it takes to be a student in today’s world. It was interesting to hear the different perspectives and the arguments that formed said perspectives. I would be interested in collaborating on another project like this in the future if the opportunity should present itself.

Kamila’s reflection:

When I first heard about this project, I thought that it was a fantastic idea for various reasons. One of them was a great opportunity for us (staff) to work collaboratively with the group of talented students on different tasks, something that we don’t often do in our role. I also think that it was a great opportunity for the students to learn new things, develop their skills, for example, in producing high quality videos, learning about elements of Ultra functionality, etc., and work with the staff from the Digital Education Support Team.

Retrospectively, I wish I could continue to be involved in overseeing the project work, but due to other commitments which are specific for this time of the year in my work schedule, this isn’t always possible. If, however, a similar project or opportunity arises in future, I would certainly be keen on taking part in it again.

Geraint’s reflection:

I think, as learning technologists, we can sometimes become slightly detached from the day-to-day experience of students, and these projects can be invaluable in many ways.

I always learn a lot beyond the strict confines of the placement work itself, and this project was no exception.

I would have loved to work more closely with Luke and Morgan, and spend more time with them, but the time confines of the summer placement, meaning this was difficult. However, the insight they have provided and the resources they have created will be invaluable, both in terms of directly supporting students and evidencing how we, as an Ultra project team, have directly engaged the student voice.

Luke’s video reflection (6-minute watch)