Secondhand Challenges Workshop Series
Waste & Reuse
25th February 2022 – 9:30am-12pm
To attend, please email paysonAB@cardiff.ac.uk
Here are the details for our first workshop on Waste & Reuse, for people working and researching in second-hand cultures, as part of our Second-hand Challenges Workshop series.
Please bring along 2+ pieces of paper and a pen!
9:30-9:40 Welcome & housekeeping
Introduction to the workshop and series
9:40 – 10:10 Lightning talks 1 – What are the challenges around Waste & Reuse in second-hand economies?
- John Griffiths, Re-Create/ Ail-Greu – ‘Cardiff Re-Create Scrapstore’
- Dr Annebella Pollen, University of Brighton – ‘The House Clearance: A Seven-Day Microcosm of Disposal’
- Anne Yendell, Sam’s Place Charity Shop – ‘What do we do with that? Waste at Sam’s Place charity shop’
- Violet Broadhead, University of Bristol – ‘ “Proper Shops”: Sustainability and reuse in charity retail’
10:10-10:15 Comfort break
10:15-10:45 Lightning talks 2 – What are the challenges around Waste & Reuse in second-hand economies?
- Dr Andy Rees, OBE, Welsh Government – ‘Beyond Recycling: The Essential Role of Reuse and Repair in the Welsh Government’s Circular Economy Strategy’
- Dr Kersty Hobson, Cardiff University – ‘What we do and don’t know about waste and reuse in the second-hand economy’
- Jane Mason, Ashfield Community Entreprise – ‘Sculptor, Environmentalist, Punk rocker, Mother…’
- Rhiannon Craft, Cardiff University – ‘Waste and reuse practices among New Travellers’
10:45 – 10:55 Icebreaker activity (Breakout rooms) – What could we do with that?
10:55 – 11:45 Design Sprint: How might we solve challenges around ‘Waste & Reuse’ in the second-hand economy? Structured ideation activity and discussion
11:45 – 12:00 Reflection, feedback and next steps
This workshop is funded by a Cardiff University ESRC Impact Accelerator Award.
The workshop series will bring together various experts and other stakeholders in this field who are already thinking about and working towards a more sustainable, skilled, fair, and community-based second-hand economy. We will focus on the issues of work, waste, repair and reuse, as well as ideas about how we might extend these values and practices into our communities.
To attend any of the workshops, please email Alida @ paysonAB@cardiff.ac.uk