General

MAGMA At the Magnetic Materials and Applications event in Eindhoven – Oct 2023

13 February 2023

MAGMA PhD student Paul Mallett has been reflecting on his recent attendance at the Magnetic Materials and Applications event in Eindhoven:

“The UK MagSoc Magnetic Materials and Applications conference in Eindhoven was a great opportunity to visit the TU/e and their EPE magnetics research facilities while also receiving some interesting talks from other members of the community. The conference featured a mix of soft and hard magnetic material talks; while the latter is not so relevant to my research, it is good to be aware of the scope of the field and the demands of industry. The talks, particularly from TU/e’s EPE PGR students, on electrical steels were very engaging for me and afforded insight into another research group’s perspective and approach to work similar to mine. Their analysis of loss and hysteresis models is of direct interest to my current work, and subsequent discussions on their talks were invaluable. The networking aspect of this conference provided more opportunities to discuss different measurement approaches and techniques for investigating mutual interests. In particular I was able to get an invite to a personal tour of the TU/e EPE magnetic materials laboratories. Seeing their facilities was really fun and lunching with the research group was a nice experience to compare with my own group’s lunches, given the amount of PGRs in their group. We discussed potential visits and collaborations that could lead to mutual benefits for us, exploiting each other’s different equipment. I look forward to seeing members of TU/e EPE magnetics team here in Cardiff.”