Advice for StudentsHalls of residenceLiving away from homeSettling inTop Tips

What to Take to Uni: The Essential Checklist

8 March 2019

I remember that feeling very well. The feeling of complete pre-uni panic surrounding what I will bring with me to my room in my halls of residence. Needless to say that panic was basically for nothing seeing as I only lived 2 hours away and was either home or had visitors every few weeks. However, I will compile a list of all the essential items you will need for when you move away from home for the first time. If worst comes to worst and you do forget something don’t worry. Believe it or not there are shops in Cardiff (and plenty of them!).

• Bed Linen = pillow, pillow case, duvet, duvet case, mattress protector, bottom sheet, bed throw (it does tend to get a bit cold in halls so plan for this and get a duvet of a reasonable thickness/tog rating and remember to check what size bed you have in your accommodation)
  • Towels = bath towels, hand towels, flannels/face towel, bath mat
  • Kitchen items = frying pan, two different sized pots, cooking utensils (spatula, wooden spoon, bottle opener, tin opener, peeler, pizza cutter, masher), sieve, knives, forks, spoons, cups, mugs, plates, bowls, baking tray, sharp knife, grater, cling film, tea towel, oven gloves, measuring jug, recipe book, chopping board, tupperware   
  • Clothes hangers (this is a good one to remember)
  • Extension lead
  • Umbrella (definitely a must in Cardiff)
  • Stationery = basically everything you would have at college like pads of paper, pens, pencils, coloured pens, flashcards, scissors, glue, cello tape, stapler, hole punch, files, plastic wallets, file dividers, pencil case, highlighters, sticky notes, sharpener, memory stick, paper clips, eraser    
  • Printer = it’s pretty easy to get a cheap little printer for your room and I know this is definitely something that helps me a lot and makes life simpler not having to trek into uni to print something out you desperately need. Also if you do have a printer make sure you have ink to top it up with and plain paper
  • First aid kit = plasters, ibuprofen, paracetamol, flu and cold tablets (an essential for freshers when the dreaded flu hits), anti-septic, throat soothers, hand sanitiser
  • Board games and playing cards
  • Toiletries
  • Chargers
  • Laptop
  • Cleaning stuff = one of the first steps into your newly found independent life will most likely involve having to clean your room and often your bathroom and kitchen so try and bring anti-bac wipes, bathroom cleaner, sponges, microfiber cloths, duster, bleach
  • Clothes = for all weathers and seasons
  • Shoes
  • Pin board and pins
  • Personal items = this is always important as these are not things that you can just go and purchase in a shop so remember to bring items like photos, cards and anything that is special and reminds you of home
  • Essential documentation = this is important for your first week at uni so remember to bring letters of confirmation and your passport as I forgot this in both first and second year and so my parents had to post it to me. Also remember to bring ID
  • Desk lamp
  • Music speaker and headphones
  • Little bin
  • Room diffuser
  • Diary
  • Boxes and big ikea bag = these are perfect for transporting and storing your stuff
  • Textbooks
  • Reading books
  • Hair-dryer
  • Small mirror
  • Earplugs = definitely something I could not live without in halls
  • Water bottle
  • Laundry bag
  • Clothes drying rack
  • Spare bulbs, battery and a little screwdriver
  • Backpack
  • Food to last you for the first few days = aka tons of ready meals

So I think I covered most things that you should bring with you when moving into university. As I said, if you do find yourself forgetting various items you will always be able to purchase them once you have arrived or just bring them back down to uni after you next go home. I hope you found this useful and if you have any questions involving moving into university/halls for the first time then drop a comment in the box below.

Advice for StudentsByw oddi cartrefNeuaddau PreswylTop TipsYmgartrefu

8 March 2019

• Extension lead
  • Board games and playing cards
  • Toiletries
  • Chargers
  • Laptop
  • Shoes
  • Pin board and pins
  • Desk lamp
  • Music speaker and headphones
  • Little bin
  • Room diffuser
  • Diary
  • Textbooks
  • Reading books
  • Hair-dryer
  • Small mirror
  • Water bottle
  • Laundry bag
  • Clothes drying rack
  • Backpack