Going outOnly in CardiffThings to do in Cardiff

A Cafe-Hopper’s Guide to Cosy Cafés: Where Productivity Meets Comfort

30 May 2024

It’s an open secret: I love coffee, and what I love even more is studying (now, working) in a café. I believe there’s something about cosy and quaint cafes that just gives you the much-needed boost for productivity, while also satiating your caffeine cravings. As a student, I used to enjoy typing my way through a mountain of assignments and getting lost in a never-ending loop of read-type-sip. Over this 18-month journey of finishing my postgraduate degree, I developed a fond liking for cafes, which led me to my new hobby – café-hopping. And what a therapy it was! I realised that one doesn’t always need company to go to a café. Sometimes all you need is your laptop or just a book and that perfect cup of brew. While my realisation was not a novel discovery, I found peace with the solitude. Sitting alone in a café was something I had definitely never done in India, so it is safe to say Cardiff made me appreciate the charm of solo café visits.

For coffee lovers, it’s more than just a caffeine kick or a morning ritual; it’s about savouring the experience, appreciating the unique flavour profiles, and admiring the craftsmanship in every cup. Attention all coffee connoisseurs! Stay tuned for this café-hopping journey, because you are about to go on a coffee adventure.  For today’s read, explore with me, five cosy spots around Cardiff that perfectly capture the essence of city’s vibrant café culture.

1: KIN+ILQ

Where? 1 Hills St, St David’s Centre, Cardiff CF10 2EW

Whether you’re craving a refreshing smoothie to kickstart your day or in need of a caffeine boost to fuel your productivity, look no further than Kin Ilq. Located in the heart of St. David’s, this charming café beckons with its cosy chairs and inviting ambiance, making it the perfect spot for work.

Since this little gem is only 17 minutes away from my accommodation and is on the way to weekly shopping sprees in St. David’s, I have become their frequent customer. And when the sun is shining, I  sit outside taking advantage of their outdoor seating area to soak up some Vitamin D while savouring my iced caramel latte. In winter, I warm myself up with their signature 50% dark hot chocolate. Spoiler alert: you’ll be addicted! Whether it’s  a hot or a cold drink, any order is incomplete without their delicious and aromatic blueberry bake wells. The texture, the flavour, the sweetness—everything about it is just irresistible. KIN+ILQ has become my personal favourite, and my loyalty is evident as I visit it every other day. Because who doesn’t love an amazing roast that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket? If you’re like me and café-hop quite often, this place is perfect.

If you find yourself in the city centre next time, do visit KIN+ILQ for a refreshing drink. And, no matter what type of coffee lover you are, there’s a drink for you here.

2: Little Man Coffee Co.

Where? Ivor House, Bridge St, Cardiff CF10 2EE

If you walk down past Cardiff’s Catholic Cathedral, you’ll find The Little Man Coffee Co. right across the road. From the name, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a tiny spot, but far from it. It is highly regarded by residents for its handcrafted coffee and relaxed atmosphere.

The seating is an intriguing mix, with a large communal table to the left as you enter, effectively defining the seating area. And if you still can’t find a comfy spot you like up here, try downstairs! In addition to coffee, Little Man offers a range of loose-leaf teas, a selection of cakes, and a small but interesting food menu. It’s more than just a coffee shop; it serves as a meeting place and neighbourhood hub, hosting clubs in the evenings as well as art shows and events. With complimentary Wi-Fi, and a variety of delectable pastries, this location is ideal for settling in with your laptop and efficiently completing your tasks.

3: Bigmoose Coffee

Where? 4-5 Frederick St, St David’s Centre, Cardiff CF10 2DB

Cardiff’s best kept secret nestled in the city centre with a vibrant, feel-good atmosphere. This unique café isn’t just about serving great coffee and delicious food; it’s driven by a mission to support mental health and help people back into work. The interior is cosy and welcoming, featuring rustic wooden tables and comfy seating.

Big Moose Café offers an array of tasty treats, from hearty breakfasts and fresh salads to indulgent cakes and excellent coffee. What sets it apart is its commitment to social good – profits go towards funding life-changing projects and supporting the community. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing place to work, a friendly spot to meet friends, or simply a great meal, Big Moose Café has you covered, all while making the world a better place.

4: Scaredy Cats

Where? 16 Working St, St David’s Centre, Cardiff CF10 1GN

If you are in the middle of workload crisis in the bustling city centre, look no further. Scaredy Cats is a quirky café that combines cosy charm with a touch of feline fun. As you step inside, you’re greeted by a whimsical interior adorned with cat-themed décor and comfy nooks perfect for curling up with a book or catching up with friends.

The menu at Scaredy Cats offers a delightful range of options, from freshly brewed coffee and loose-leaf teas to scrumptious cakes and light bites. The café’s unique atmosphere is complemented by the occasional presence of friendly resident cats, adding to the relaxed and playful vibe. Plus, when you need a break, you can enjoy their fantastic selection of board games and card games, making it a great spot for both productivity and relaxation.

It’s definitely an ideal place to focus and get things done. Whether you’re facing a mountain of study or a pile of professional tasks, Scaredy Cats provides a welcoming environment to help you power through your to-do list. Next time you’re here, find a comfortable spot and savour a recently prepared cup of coffee while you immerse yourself in your tasks.

5: Caffé Nero

Where? Unit 5/6, Capitol Shopping Centre, Cardiff CF10 2HQ

Caffé Nero is a household name among Cardiff’s busy bees and leisure seekers alike. The café features a variety of seating options to suit your needs. Choose from spots by the window for people-watching, comfortable armchairs for a relaxed vibe, or spacious communal tables ideal for spreading out your work materials. There’s also plenty of outdoor seating for those who prefer to enjoy their coffee in the fresh air.

The menu at Caffé Nero is diverse and appealing. Start your day with one of their expertly brewed coffees, whether you prefer a classic espresso, a creamy latte, or a frothy cappuccino. If tea is more your style, they offer a selection of fine teas as well. For a quick bite, indulge in their freshly baked pastries, such as buttery croissants, rich chocolate muffins, and flaky danishes.

Whether you’re cramming for exams, handling professional tasks, or simply enjoying a good book, Caffé Nero offers a welcoming environment that caters to all. The combination of comfortable seating, a varied menu, and a warm atmosphere makes it an ideal spot for both work and relaxation.