Knights HospitallerKnights Templar

The 700th anniversary of the Templars’ demise: continued

2 May 2014

In yet another event commemorating the 700th anniversary of the final end of the Templars, next week Theresa Vann, Paul Crawford and I are giving papers on ‘The Aftermath of the Templars’ at the 49th International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo (http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/index.html ), session 244 from 1.30pm on Friday 9 May. My paper, ‘Memories of the Templars in Britain: Templar charters in Hospitaller records after the Dissolution of the Templars’, focuses on the work of Brother John Stillingflete, Hospitaller historian writing in 1434, and asks why he made so much of the Templar Order which had been dissolved in ignominy 120 years before.

11 comments
  1. Raymond E.O.Ella

To view some pictures in connection with a Templar named John de Usflete (Huseflete, Husfleet, Husflete, Ufflete, Ousflet and other phonetic or early scribe-forms) at Balantradoch (Temple village in Midlothian, Scotland) c.1304 to c.1306, go to:
    http://www.ipernity.com/home/510485

Kind regards,
    Ray.

2. Raymond E.O.Ella

Extra on the Templar John de Usflete:
    to read more on him and his family, please go to http://www.google.co.uk and in the searchbox type Raymond E.O.Ella and click, then go to the Google page for Reedness & Ousefleet and click. Later, go to Adlingfleet and click.

Kind regards,
    Ray.

• Helen Nicholson

Thanks, Ray: I submitted some information about Templar commanderies to this project!

3. here

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after reading
    through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and
    checking back frequently!

4. free

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing problems with your blog.

It appears as though some of the text on your content
    are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let
    me know if this is happening to them too? This may be
    a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Kudos

5. free

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum
    it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any recommendations for beginner blog writers?
    I’d really appreciate it.

• Helen Nicholson

I am glad to read that you enjoy this blog, but as you will have noticed it is only occasionally updated. So I have no recommendations for beginning blog writers apart from: try to keep each entry short.

6. Raymond E.O.Ella

Temple Bruer:
    The ipenity link does not now seem to be working or just temporary not?.
    On a Google Sat Map for Temple Bruer over the road there is a triangular shaped wooded area. If the Sat Map is turned round an obscured building is almost viewable at the point of the triangular facing the fields. – My wife and I recently visited Temple Bruer again and went to the said wooded area. However, since the Google Sat Map the obscured structure is now not there, be it a farm building or something else. The middle of the wooded area is hollow with overgrown weeds, nettles, etc., indeed difficult to get to the centre. There is a ridge to walk over on the edging and once may have been a wall.