PhD research opportunity on Knights Templar
Dr Paul Dryburgh of the National Archives and I have drawn up a doctoral research project on the Knights Templars’ estates and we are applying to various Doctoral Training Partnerships in Britain for funding.
An application has been submitted to the South, West and Wales doctoral training scheme (see the SWW DTP webpage for more information). Other training partnerships are available, so if you are interested in applying for a grant for this research with a different programme, please contact me to discuss the details of the research project.
Update January 2020: this opportunity is not currently available. If it again becomes available in the future I will update this post.
- Sybil, Queen of Jerusalem June 23, 2022A few months late: but as the Conference for the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East takes place next week, I should mention that my study of Queen Sybil of Jerusalem (queen 1186-92) was published … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Past Imperfect June 22, 2022About a year ago, ARC Humanities Press published a short book on the Knights Templar in their ‘Past Imperfect’ series. The series ‘presents concise critical overviews of the latest research by the world’s leading scholars’. It was an honour to … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Road Collision Investigation Branch November 8, 2021Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: I fell over this by accident: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/creating-a-road-collision-investigation-branch-rcib You may be a better-informed reader and have already seen it. Effectively, the Government has noticed that road traffic collisions tend to go uninvestigated except in so…gawainsmum
- The Templar Estates in Lincolnshire: new book by Dr Mike Jefferson November 4, 2020It was a great honour to examine the brilliant doctoral thesis which has now been transformed into this book. If you are studying the Templars’ estates, their operations in Europe, their logistics, or studying the economic history of medieval Europe, … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- The Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles at knock-down price September 8, 2020If you want a copy of my Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles but can’t afford it, the volumes are currently available from Postscript books at £30 the pair: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Proceedings-against-the-Templars-in-the-British-Islesgawainsmum
- Lockdown Extension Day 12 April 25, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: The lupins are growing. (Well, one of them is growing. The other has been eaten by something. Seems slugs don’t get coronaviruses.) The garden has been seeing some work today after I went along…gawainsmum
- Lockdown Extension Day 2 April 15, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: Still here, and the garden’s still growing. (It’s full of laundry today – a bonus of being stuck at home all day with little else to do is that I save money on the…gawainsmum
- Why the UK Coronavirus Lockdown should be lifted on Monday April 10, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: Readers who have had the good fortune to have been living in a cave in Patagonia will not have heard of the coronavirus Covid-19, and it is highly recommended that for the sake of…gawainsmum
- The Trial of the Templars in Germany March 4, 2020As I’ve been asked about this, I thought it might be useful to readers of this blog to have a translation of the study by F. J. M. Raynouard, who (so far as I know) was the last scholar to … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- ‘New’ manuscript of the Templars’ trial in England August 19, 2019In vol. 1, p. xxix of my edition of the Proceedings against the Templars in the British Isles (2011) I wrote that the only manuscripts of the testimonies from the trial of the Templars in Britain and Ireland were Oxford, Bodleian … Continue reading →gawainsmum