- Professor Boyne, PVC Head of College for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, noted that he had led the recent The Way Forward: Making it Happen workshop. There was good engagement and lots of ideas from a well-attended event mainly comprising of Professional Services staff. He noted one idea that had particularly struck him on the potential for an ‘investment to save’ fund whereby ideas on innovation that could lead to further savings could be funded. It was agreed this was a good idea but with a slight change in emphasis and could be branded ‘save to earn’.
- Ms Dowden update UEB on a very successful event for the Professional Services Leadership Team where the draft College Operational Plans for 2015/16 were reviewed and discussion on how the corporate Professional Services can help ensure these are delivered. The Operational Plan for the Professional Services will now be developed.
- Professor Price, PVC for Student Experience and Academic Standards, noted that the Education Town Hall meetings had been very successful. Over 600 staff had registered and one of the sessions had been recorded and will be able online shortly for staff that were unable to attend.
- UEB received a paper outlining the University’s response to the Welsh Government’s consultation on regulations on the HE (Wales) Act.
UEB received the following regular reports:
- PVC College of Physical Sciences & Engineering Monthly Report. The report noted that the College had shortlisted the Research Infrastructure Fund (RIF) applications. An Open Day for applicants to the new Software Academy had been held on 15 April, with 20 offer holders attending.
- PVC College of Biomedical & Life Sciences Monthly Report. It was noted that the College Office team has relocated from Cardigan House to the new College Office headquarters in Heath Park. The college reviews of PGT and PGR at College level are continuing. It was also noted that Professor Petroc Sumner has been appointed as the new Head of School for Psychology and he will take over from Professor Ed Wilding in August, and Professor Jim Murray has been appointed as the Head of School for Biosciences and will take over from Professor Ole Peterson in May.
- Innovation System Update. The report noted that the Innovation System Steering Group had received the draft feasibility report for the Maindy Road Innovation System builds.
- Monthly Activity Report on Research & Innovation. The report updated on research awards received and applications submitted for the first eight months of the financial year, to 31 March 2015. Although not quite at the same impressive level of total awards received during the previous month, these results continue the overall positive trend achieved during the first quarter of 2015.