The Sensor Physiotherapy Intervention (SPIN) Research Group incorporates a team of Clinical Engineers and Physiotherapists specialising in clinical movement science. This group brings together skills and experiences from both disciplines to address challenges brought about by musculoskeletal knee conditions.
The mission of the SPIN research group is to excel in research and the use of digital technology in movement science and rehabilitation, aimed at finding innovative solutions to delivering even better quality of healthcare and outcomes for those living with musculoskeletal knee conditions.
- To improve understanding of human movement strategies and the applications of biomechanical analysis to optimise movement assessments into clinical practice.
- To generate recommendations on how individuals with musculoskeletal knee conditions can benefit from physical exercise based on objective functional tests.
- To find innovative ways of treating individuals with musculoskeletal knee conditions using technology in the clinic and home settings.
The SPIN research group has access to laboratories with a number of state-of-the-art equipment, which enable us to complete world-class research in clinical movement analysis and physiotherapy. The following list is not comprehensive but includes our most important facility:
- The MotekForcelink GRAIL system that is a state-of-the-art facility for movement and rehabilitation assessments and research.
- Inertial Measurement Units (Xsens MVN) that allows us to accurately measure the kinematics and dynamics of the relevant joints and body segments involved in the functional and mote tasks.
- TRAK is web-based tool that help us to provide a patient-focused approach by sharing information, improving exercise prescription, accessing advice from a physiotherapist and monitoringprogress.
The group is led by a clinical engineer (Dr Al-Amri) and a physiotherapist (Dr Button) and includes the following members:
- Dr Mohammad Al-Amri (clinical engineering lead)
- Dr Kate Button (clinical lead)
- Dr Jennifer Davies (Research Associate)
- Mr Kevin Nicholas (Physiotherapist & PGR Student)
- Mr Mohannad Felemban (PGR student)
- Mrs Riham Abuzinadah (PGR Student)
- Miss Shima Aljahdali (PGR student)
- Manali Kulkarni (MSc student)
- Mehareen Nishandar (MSc student)
- Yi-An Chen (MSc student)
- Li Qiao (MSc student)
- Abdulaziz Nafea (MSc student)
- Danyang Chen (MSc student)
- Xinyi Zhou (MSc student)
- Alhanouf Almutairi
- Palida Techakhot
- Mr Turki Alsaedi
Get in touch
To find out more about our work, or to explore collaboration opportunities with us, please contact Dr Mohammad Al-Amri at firstname.lastname@example.org.