The Templars’ Scottish charters9 May 2016
Whatever happened to the Templars’ Scottish records? There is no evidence that King Edward II’s officials took inventories of the Templars’ two Scottish commanderies: if they did, the records have been lost. But in fact it appears that the Templars had moved their valuable documents south before the king’s officials moved in. The inventory of the Templars’ house at East Cowton in North Yorkshire, taken on Wednesday 10 January 1308 by Robert Ughtred, states that in the camera sunt omnes carte templi scocie sil’ cum diversis cartis quorumdam ten’ in Angl’ in una arca sigillo predicti Roberti Ughtrd signat’ (in the chamber are all the charters of the Temple of Scotland similarly with various charters of certain tenements in England, in one chest sealed with the seal of the aforesaid Robert Ughtred).
So the Templars’ Scottish charters had been taken to Yorkshire. Presumably the brothers hoped that they would be safe there from the Scottish wars. On 1 October 1314 a chest, four coffers and a hanaper containing charters, writings and other muniments relating to the Templars were passed by the keepers of the Templars’ lands in Yorkshire to the king (Calendar of the Patent Rolls for the Reign of Edward II, A.D. 1313-1317 (London: HMSO, 1898), p. 184) — perhaps these also included the Scottish charters. But these documents don’t appear to have survived. Unless any of you out there know where they are?
- Road Collision Investigation Branch November 8, 2021Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: I fell over this by accident: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/creating-a-road-collision-investigation-branch-rcib You may be a better-informed reader and have already seen it. Effectively, the Government has noticed that road traffic collisions tend to go uninvestigated except in so…gawainsmum
- The Templar Estates in Lincolnshire: new book by Dr Mike Jefferson November 4, 2020It was a great honour to examine the brilliant doctoral thesis which has now been transformed into this book. If you are studying the Templars’ estates, their operations in Europe, their logistics, or studying the economic history of medieval Europe, … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- The Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles at knock-down price September 8, 2020If you want a copy of my Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles but can’t afford it, the volumes are currently available from Postscript books at £30 the pair: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Proceedings-against-the-Templars-in-the-British-Islesgawainsmum
- Lockdown Extension Day 12 April 25, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: The lupins are growing. (Well, one of them is growing. The other has been eaten by something. Seems slugs don’t get coronaviruses.) The garden has been seeing some work today after I went along…gawainsmum
- Lockdown Extension Day 2 April 15, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: Still here, and the garden’s still growing. (It’s full of laundry today – a bonus of being stuck at home all day with little else to do is that I save money on the…gawainsmum
- Why the UK Coronavirus Lockdown should be lifted on Monday April 10, 2020Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: Readers who have had the good fortune to have been living in a cave in Patagonia will not have heard of the coronavirus Covid-19, and it is highly recommended that for the sake of…gawainsmum
- The Trial of the Templars in Germany March 4, 2020As I’ve been asked about this, I thought it might be useful to readers of this blog to have a translation of the study by F. J. M. Raynouard, who (so far as I know) was the last scholar to … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- ‘New’ manuscript of the Templars’ trial in England August 19, 2019In vol. 1, p. xxix of my edition of the Proceedings against the Templars in the British Isles (2011) I wrote that the only manuscripts of the testimonies from the trial of the Templars in Britain and Ireland were Oxford, Bodleian … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- South Welsh Transport June 4, 2019Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: Newport M4 Deviation Scrapped Yarooo! This is one of the best decisions a politician has made for a really quite considerable number of years. Can we make him Prime Minister? He might can the…gawainsmum
- Election Literature 2019 May 22, 2019Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: To the delight of many, we are having Euro Elections on Thursday 23rd May this year. Voters will head to the polls to choose their preferred party to represent their region in the European…gawainsmum