Bristol is revolting!10 December 2015
In 1309–10 William Randalf, custodian of the Templars’ former properties in Bristol, was thrown out of the Templars’ house. Mayor John le Taverner and his cronies carried off his property and took over the income from the house and its little farm (24 acres of arable land and four acres of meadow) for the next three years. John and three other tenants failed to pay their rent for properties they had leased from the Templars, either because they were involved in the rebellion or because the property was empty and un-lettable (presumably because of the revolt) — I’ve attached my transcription of the document recording these events to this blog.
The revolt was nothing to do with the Templars — John le Taverner and his friends were revolting against King Edward II’s official in Bristol castle, Bartholomew de Badlemere. You can read more about the revolt, and John le Taverner and William Randalf, here and here. But the result of the revolt was that King Edward II received rather less income from the former Templar properties in Bristol than he would have hoped, at a time when he very much needed money.
- Looking for a good book? November 1, 2023Shepherd.com have published their ‘100 best books of 2023‘: that is, the books recommended by the authors whose books they promote. These are not necessarily the books you’ve seen recommended by Goodreads, Bookbub or Amazon! If you’re looking for that … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Sybil in Paperback October 2, 2023Sybil, queen of Jerusalem, 1186-1190 is out in paperback! Now at the much more affordable price of £38.00 plus free postage within the UK. Details on the publisher’s website: https://www.routledge.com/Sybil-Queen-of-Jerusalem-11861190/Nicholson/p/book/9781032234663gawainsmum
- A small plug June 8, 2023The online book site Shepherd.com has produced this plug for my 2010 book A Brief History of the Knights Templar, at https://shepherd.com/book/a-brief-history-of-the-knights-templar. My book was kindly recommended by Dr Nicholas Morton of Nottingham Trent University!gawainsmum
- Women and the Crusades February 20, 2023My book Women and the Crusades was published by OUP in the UK on 23 Feb. This certainly isn’t the first book on the subject and it won’t be the last, but I hope it will give readers an insight … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Women and the Crusades November 28, 2022Very many years ago, back in the early 1990s when I was applying for university teaching posts, my next big research project was going to be women’s roles in the crusades. I had collected a good deal of primary evidence … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Sybil, Queen of Jerusalem June 23, 2022A few months late: but as the Conference for the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East takes place next week, I should mention that my study of Queen Sybil of Jerusalem (queen 1186-92) was published … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Past Imperfect June 22, 2022About a year ago, ARC Humanities Press published a short book on the Knights Templar in their ‘Past Imperfect’ series. The series ‘presents concise critical overviews of the latest research by the world’s leading scholars’. It was an honour to … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- Road Collision Investigation Branch November 8, 2021Originally posted on Official Gawain Blog: I fell over this by accident: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/creating-a-road-collision-investigation-branch-rcib You may be a better-informed reader and have already seen it. Effectively, the Government has noticed that road traffic collisions tend to go uninvestigated except in so…gawainsmum
- The Templar Estates in Lincolnshire: new book by Dr Mike Jefferson November 4, 2020It was a great honour to examine the brilliant doctoral thesis which has now been transformed into this book. If you are studying the Templars’ estates, their operations in Europe, their logistics, or studying the economic history of medieval Europe, … Continue reading →gawainsmum
- The Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles at knock-down price September 8, 2020If you want a copy of my Proceedings Against the Templars in the British Isles but can’t afford it, the volumes are currently available from Postscript books at £30 the pair: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Proceedings-against-the-Templars-in-the-British-Islesgawainsmum