Reflecting back on such a fantastic year

22 July 2020
Borth beach
Borth beach (6.5 miles from Aberystwyth)

Deciding to take the rural education route (RER) in my 3rd year led to me having the most enjoyable of my 4 years of university so far. This was not only in terms of the course and the way we were learning, but also general student life. 

Being the only student in a GP practice for a whole year allows you to become a member of the team, and means that you can get much more involved in seeing and treating patients, and it’s also just lovely to know all the staff.

Learning outside of placement was done in our small group which was also much more fun than sitting in a massive lecture theatre. Aside from the course, Aber is the most beautiful seaside town, and thanks to its university and the friendly locals, there are plenty of things you can get involved in.

Aberystwyth University swimming and water polo club

Personally, I was part of the Aber uni swimming and water polo team and had so much fun with them both in the pool and on socials. I have been back to visit them a few times over the past year.

Aberystwyth swimming and water polo team

I also did a few sea swims with some of the locals who were so welcoming.

In 2018-2019, there were 7 of us in my year that went to Aber and it was so nice to be part of a small group again rather than lost in a sea of 300 students. We spent plenty of time together and had so much fun and they are now some of my closest friends.

Coming back to Cardiff as a fourth year student was easier than expected. Hospital placement was a little scary but I felt so much more confident speaking to patients having become so used to it in the GP.

The rural education route gave me such a fantastic year and I cannot recommend it enough. 

Deciding to take the rural education route (RER) in my 3rd year in 2018-2019 led to me having the most enjoyable of my 4 years of university so far. This was not only in terms of the course and the way we were learning, but also general student life.

“Such a fantastic year”

Angharad Eburne