UEB, 26 February 201826 February 2018
- UEB received a verbal update on the current industrial action and the forthcoming meeting of the Expert Group, being convened by Professor Holford, and meeting on Friday.
- It was noted that a recent student protest had taken place outside the Vice-Chancellor’s office with the students asking for a divestment over three years. The draft Socially Responsible Investment Policy would be discussed at Council’s next meeting.
- It was noted that celebratory events held at the Guildhall and Buckingham Palaces to mark the award of a Queen’s Anniversary Prize.
- It was noted that the Patent Office was celebrating 400 years of patents, including that awarded to Professor Ian Weeks for light-emitting (chemiluminescent) substances as alternatives to radioactive ‘tracers’.
- It was noted that the Students’ Union election had taken place and that the current Vice-President for Education, Fadhila Al Dhahouri, had been appointed as President for 2018/19 and the current Vice-President for Postgraduate Students, Jake Smith, had been re-elected for a second term.
- UEB received, and approved subject to some minor amendments, the University response to the Welsh Government consultation on support for doctoral study.
- UEB received, and approved, the University’s response to the Cardiff County Council’s Green Paper, ‘Building More and Better Jobs’.
- UEB received the draft Council agenda for note.
- UEB received a briefing paper on fees and funding issues in Wales and England. It was noted that the Welsh Government’s Education (Student Support) (Wales) Regulations 2018 did not include mention of PGT students and this was being queried.
UEB received the following regular reports
- Finance monthly report
- Chief Operating Officer’s monthly report