Supporting your study

Support for disabled or dyslexic students graduating this summer

Delyth, from the Disability and Dyslexia Service, discusses the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) available for postgraduate study, the access to work grants available and guidance on telling an employer about your disability.

If your exams are over and you can almost feel the cap on your head, well done! I’m sure that all of your hard work has paid off. Whether your plan is postgraduate study or entering the working world, read on for advice and support with your next step.

Thinking about postgraduate study?

If you’re thinking about postgraduate study at Cardiff University, our Disability and Dyslexia Service offers a range of support to disabled students and those with a specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia), mental health issues, or long-term medical conditions.

Wherever you decide to study, disclosing your disability or specific learning difficulty, mental health issue or long-term health condition can ensure you can access support to help you with your studies.

The support available may include specific exam provisions, adjustments in lectures and seminars, and across the library and learning centres. Support is recommended on an individual basis and would be discussed with you based on your specific needs. Evidence is required and we can advise you further on what information this would need to include.

See the Cardiff University Disability Support Guide for further information about support at the University.


Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

We can support students with their application for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), which is additional funding accessed through a student’s funding body to provide specialist support arrangements.

Postgraduate students enrolled on an eligible full-time or part-time postgraduate course (which you need a degree or equivalent qualification to get onto), including distance learning courses, can apply for the DSA. Students who received DSA funding during their undergraduate studies can apply for this to be continued on their postgraduate course.

You can find further information about the DSA process and possible support options from your individual funding bodies:

You do not need to be in receipt of general student funding to apply for the DSA. However, you do need to be eligible for funding as confirmed by your residency status. If unsure, please ask about this.

It’s important that you apply for the DSA as early as possible and remember to disclose your disability on application forms relating to your course.


Support with employment after your course

Choosing when or if to disclose your disability during the recruitment process can be a difficult decision, but it is ultimately up to you. Read more advice on disclosing to an employer here.

You are entitled to help at work if you are disabled or have a health condition. You should discuss reasonable adjustments with your employer, and Access to Work grants are also available to pay for equipment, adaptations, support worker services or help with getting to and from work.

Find out more here


You’re part of our alumni community

A relationship with Cardiff University is for life. You can still access careers support and more once you’ve graduated.

Find out more about joining Cardiff University alumni


Contact the Disability & Dyslexia Team

You can email, call the team on 029 2087 4844 or visit them at 50 Park Place, Cathays or Cardigan House, Heath Park.


Best wishes,

Delyth, Disability and Dyslexia Service.

Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & MoneyCareers & EmployabilityCounselling, Health & WellbeingDisability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply