Enterprise, Preparing for your future

Meet the students starting a new venture at University.

We have everything you need to bring your ideas to life. The Start-up Support Package is a three-staged journey to take you from having an idea to making it a reality, whether it is a business, freelance career, or community project.

Women drawing a start-up rocket

Hear from the students already growing their ideas through the Start-up Support Package.

Stage one: Curious Explorer

Simon Betts (Meng Electrical & Electronic Engineering)

Simon Betts (Meng Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

What is your idea?

My idea is to create a robotics/autonomous vehicle research and development company, with the main focus on an autonomous race series.

How have you grown your idea so far?

Currently I have completed an initial idea, this includes documenting cash for start-up and investigating workspace’s etc. If you can forgive the analogy, the work done so far is almost like clearing shrubs and debris ahead of laying foundations.

What support have you had from Cardiff Uni?

I have received an incredible amount of support from the enterprise team, my family and friends of mine that believe I can make this company into a reality. I am pleased at how the university have really helped motivate individuals like myself into taking action.

What do you hope to achieve in the future?

It is my hope that I will be able to bring happiness and excitement to people, not only in the form of a more futuristic world, but in a way that shows people that we can push the limits of what we think is possible. Id like to truly inspire people.

Stage two: Freedom Seeker

Dr Jordan Cuff, Entobox

Dr Jordan Cuff (pictured) and Rafael Andres Badell Grau (Doctor of Philosophy (Biosciences))

Co-Founders of EntoBox

What is your idea?

EntoBox brings innovative invertebrate-based solutions to individuals to empower them to improve sustainability, food security and waste management.

How have you grown your idea so far?

We have conceptualised and begun to test a range of products for phased roll-out. We have expanded our team to include expertise in marketing and business development to effectively plan our sales strategy while finalising the testing of our first product. Our website launches soon!

Through the support of Cardiff University Enterprise, we have received an enormous amount of support and guidance, reached out for several funding opportunities and, perhaps most crucially, we were put in touch with Riverside Community Allotments in Cardiff who will be a crucial collaborator going forward.

We are aiming to roll out our first commercial product later this year for which we have devised a rigorous and multi-staged testing plan. Once this has successfully launched, we will begin working toward our next product, for which we have already initiated design and prototyping. Exciting things ahead!

Stage three: Go-Getter

Tillie Page, Page Illustrations

Tillie Page (BA Chinese)

Founder of Page Illustrations: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PageIllustrations

What is your idea?

I aim to create affordable, hand-drawn, minimalist illustrations to bring joy and positivity into your home.

How have you grown your idea so far?

I have created an Etsy shop and Instagram page which have slowly built momentum over time. I have taken part in several local markets in Cardiff and lots of online small business community events, as well as workshops and online mentoring.

The Ymlaen Scheme gave me an IPSE membership which is full of useful resources, and the monthly mentoring helped me to structure my business idea. I was lucky enough to win some prize money for my idea which I plan to invest back into developing Page Illustrations even further.

I would love to create a range of gifting products with my designs, supply to stockists across the UK and increase my online presence so that I can make a living from my business!

Find out more about the Enterprise & Start-up Team by reading our Annual Impact Review 2020

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too.

To help us aid more of your fellow students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & MoneyCareers & EmployabilityCounselling, Health & WellbeingDisability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.