Care leavers and estranged students, Managing your money

Meet Paula, the dedicated contact for care leavers and estranged students

Einir, our dedicated contact for care leavers and estranged students will be going on maternity leave from the end of June 2017 and would like to introduce you to Paula who will be the dedicated contact in her absence.

Some of you have seen me over the past few months and will know that I will be shortly going off on maternity leave. I am pleased to let you know that my trusted and friendly colleague Paula Barker will be taking over as the dedicated contact for care leavers and estranged students in my absence. Like myself, Paula works in the Advice and Money Team in the Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place and her office is next door to my current office. Paula is a student adviser like me and has worked as a student adviser for 15 years so has a wealth of experience to help you.

How can Paula help you?

  • Support with applying for student funding, including making an application and liaising with your funding body if there are any problems.
  • Assist you in managing your money while at university.
  • Support with academic related issues including liaising with your academic department / course tutors.
  • Help if you’re unsure what your academic results mean.
  • Assist with any housing issues: finding accommodation, problems with landlords etc.
  • Sign-posting towards other Cardiff University services.
  • Applying for additional sources of funding such as the Financial Assistance Programme and charitable trusts.
  • Or simply just someone to talk to if you need to.


Care Leaver and Estranged Students’ Bursary

If you have applied and received the bursary previously, you do not need to reapply for the bursary for the next academic year. Paula will be in touch with you at the beginning of the next academic year (September) to arrange for you to come in and meet her and collect your cheque.

If you have not applied for the bursary, it’s still not too late.

To be eligible you must be a full-time undergraduate student, started your course in September 2012 or later and be eligible to receive funding as a “home” student. You also must have a recent history of being in care or estranged:


  • having been in Care for  6 months from the age of 14 or
  • having been in Care for 3 months from the age of 16 or
  • have been irreconcilably estranged from my parents or guardians between the age of16 and leaving school or FE College (These will be considered on a case by case basis)


  • have been in care/estranged in the last 10 years

The value of the award is £3,000 and is usually paid: £1,000 in the first year, £750 in each subsequent academic years and an additional £500 in the final term of your degree, if you are on a 3 year course. All you need to do is complete the application form that’s available on the intranet and include evidence of your care leaving/ estrangement status. Alternatively, give me a call to discuss your situation and I can e-mail you an application form.


Contact Paula:

From the 1st July 2017, please get in touch with Paula if you need any help or assistance:

029 2087 9371


Watch our video, ‘Support for care leavers and estranged students studying at Cardiff University’


Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too.

To help us aid more of your fellow students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.


Best wishes,

Einir, Advice and Money Team.

Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply