Andrew discusses the service GO Wales offer and shares their great news with students…
Graduating this summer but lacking in work experience? If you’re starting to panic about future employment, fear not! It’s not too late as Cardiff University Careers and Employability service can help.
Have you got work experience?
Employers put work experience at the top of their wish list when they recruit graduates. However, not everyone finds it easy to get the work experience they need. This is where GO Wales could help.
What is GO Wales?
GO Wales is an EU funded project which creates tailored, flexible work experience opportunities for eligible students. The team can work with you to secure work experience, improving your chances of securing employment when you complete your course.
Our great news is, GO Wales can now work with final year students until mid-September! However, you’ll have to register with us by the 9th June. Take advantage of this new opportunity and get yourself employment-ready.
Who is it for?
We would like to hear from you if you are under 25 years old, in full-time education and can say yes to one of the following:
- I have a disability or work limiting health condition
- I’m from a Black and Minority Ethnic background
- I have caring or childcare responsibilities
- I am in care or a care leaver
- I’m from a low higher education participation neighbourhood
How does it work?
If you take part in the Programme you will get the support of an adviser who will…
- Help you to decide what kind of work experience will work for you
- Liaise with suitable employers to secure you a placement
- Help you prepare for your placement
- Discuss your experience and help you to decide on your next steps
- If GO Wales is not suitable, put you in touch with other Careers and Employability provision to help you to with your career planning journey
GO Wales can help you to secure:
- Work shadowing: Up to three days of unpaid work experience where you observe someone in their role to understand how they do their job.
- Work Tasters: Up to four weeks of unpaid work experience where you will have the opportunity to learn about work and the working environment by observing and undertaking some tasks.
- Work Placements: Four to six weeks of paid work experience which will allow you to get hands-on work experience or assist with a specific project.
…All of which can be tailored to your specific needs, whether that’s working particular hours or days, or having things in place to allow you to work to the best of your ability.
What did students think of their experience with GO Wales?
What are you waiting for? Get going with GO Wales!
If you’re eligible, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the GO Wales Team to take your next step in your career planning journey.
Tel: 029 20870181
Not eligible for GO Wales, but still need help with getting work experience?
Your feedback and help please
Have you found this blog post useful? Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too.
Good luck everyone! Pob lwc pawb!
Andrew Kirby, GO Wales Team.
Your Student Life, Supported.
The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and Money, Careers and Employability, Counselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.
For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.