Preparing for your future, Recruiters

From Zoology to Finance at Dyson – where will your career take you?

Guest blog from Matthew Wilcox, Cardiff  Zoology Alumni and Finance Graduate at Dyson …

Matthew Wilcox

ACCA student Matthew Wilcox comes from a family of accountants. Growing up, he was determined to take a different career path, opting to study Zoology rather than Finance at university. He soon discovered that his favourite part of his degree was numerical analysis and realised that accountancy was, in fact, the perfect mix of his passion for analysis and growing interest in business and management. The rest, as they say, is history, and Matthew landed a role at Dyson on the company’s finance graduate scheme last year.

Matthew tells us what a day working in a busy finance team really involves … 

“The Dyson graduate scheme lasts for three years. Within that time I will have done three different roles within finance. Right now, I’m working in the Tax & Treasury department. It’s given me exposure to loads of business areas, and I’ll spend my mornings working on everything from transfer pricing to customs compliance and corporation tax.

I’ll spend a big chunk of my day project managing the implementation of a new global customs broker. It’s a project I was given to manage from day one which, although daunting, has been a rewarding and challenging experience. There’s such a supportive atmosphere at Dyson; there is a true feeling that people want you to do well and will go out of their way to help. It’s helped give me the confidence to contribute ideas early on.

At the moment, I spend most of my evenings studying for the ACCA Qualification. It’s hard to work full-time and study, but the right support from your employer can make all the difference, and I’m really lucky with Dyson; they recognise that being ACCA qualified will help me do my job better. Each day I learn more and more about accountancy and how it sits within the Dyson business. It fascinates me and the more I learn, the more determined I become to explore different areas of the company too.”

More about Finance roles at Dyson …

Founded for only 20 years, Dyson has grown to become an international icon. Starting with a single thought: a vacuum that wouldn’t lose suction, Dyson now sells vacuum cleaners, fans and hand dryers in 67 different countries, with a turnover in excel of £1bn. With 4,500 people currently working across the world, the growth won’t stop here. Dyson are looking to expand both geographically and across the product portfolio.

Dyson’s ethos is all about doing things better. We crave fresh thinking, and often find that the best way to improve something is to get hands-on, learning as we go. Our Graduate scheme personifies this ethos.

Our Finance teams play a crucial role in both Financial control, and commercial decisions, across all areas of our business. Our Graduates join the business in ‘real roles’, enabling them to face real live problems, and make improvements from Day 1.

Our Graduate scheme consists of 3 placements of 1 year each in duration. This enables experience to be gained across the business. This could include: New product investments, commercial forecasting & planning, management accounting, financial control & internal audit.

We sponsor our graduates to become qualified ACCA accountants. This includes providing study time and development support as well as paying for course fees.

You will need a 2:1 degree in any discipline, as well as 300 UCA points, across 3 Core A-Levels subjects or equivalent

Applications can be made online, by submitting a CV and covering letter. Please ensure that you outline your reasons for applying in your covering letter.

We’ll screen your application and invite successful candidates to a short telephone interview. If you’re successful at this stage, you’ll be invited to an assessment centre.

We’re open to applications from candidates from any discipline who can demonstrate confidence handling figures and an inquisitive and analytical approach to problem-solving.

Find out more about a career with Dyson online

Find out more about ACCA at today’s  Business Fair and online.

Best wishes
Matthew