Before you graduate, More, Supporting your study

Disability and Dyslexia support for postgraduate study

Jemma, from the Disability and Dyslexia Team, shares information on the support available for postgraduate study for those with a specific learning difficulty, mental health issue, or long term medical condition… PG disabled students

If your exams are over and you can almost feel the cap on your head, well done! I’m sure that all of your hard work has paid off. If your next step is postgraduate study at Cardiff University then please read on for advice from the Disability & Dyslexia Service (DDS) about what support you may be entitled to. You may also be interested in our blogs on special arrangements and disabled access for graduation and thinking of postgraduate study?


Eligibility and support

DDS offers a range of support to disabled students/ those with a specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia), mental health issue, or long term medical condition.

The support available may include specific exam provision, adjustments in lectures and seminars, and across the library and learning centres. Support is recommended on an individual basis and would be discussed with you based on your specific needs. Evidence is required and we can advise you further on what information this would need to include.


Disabled Students’ Application

We can also support students with their Disabled Students’ Application (DSA), which is additional funding accessed through a student’s funding body to provide specialist support arrangements.

Postgraduate students enrolled on an eligible full-time or part-time postgraduate course (which you need a degree or equivalent qualification to get onto), including distance learning courses can apply for the DSA.  Students who received DSA during their undergraduate studies can apply for this to continue on their postgraduate course.

You can find further information about the DSA process and possible support options for Student Finance Wales here and Student Finance England students here. Please note, you do not need to be in receipt of general student funding to apply for the DSA. However, you do need to be eligible for funding as confirmed by your residency status.


Check out our guide

Please also see the Cardiff University Disability Support Guide for further information about support at the University.


Watch our video, ‘Disability and Dyslexia Service – Celebrating our Graduates’

Contact the Disability & Dyslexia Team

You can email, call the team on 029 2087 4844 or visit us at 50 Park Place, Student High Street, Cathays or Cardigan House, Heath Park.


Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful? Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.


Best wishes,

Jemma, Disability and Dyslexia Team.


Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & MoneyCareers & EmployabilityCounselling, Health & WellbeingDisability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply