Wales

Staff Counselling News!

28 November 2016

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

A New Way of Life….

I am writing to you to let you know that after almost ten years of working at Cardiff University, I have decided to leave my post as Staff Counselling Manager to pursue other interests. I moved house a year ago, and with my partner, I have a couple of businesses which I wish to invest more time and energy in, as well as expanding my private counselling practice. The Staff Counselling Service is entering a new phase with a wider remit, commitment and focus on the wellbeing agenda. I see this as a timely opportunity for me to move on and for someone else to take the helm in leading this new and exciting development.

I have appreciated my time here at Cardiff and the significant opportunities for personal and professional development it has offered me. As the Staff Counselling Service transforms into the Staff Wellbeing Service, I wish it every success, and know it will continue to offer staff the opportunity for support, enabling them to empower and look after themselves, and their professional and personal wellbeing-contributing to the ongoing development of a  resilient and productive workforce.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank staff for your continued support over the last ten years, I have worked with some inspirational people and learnt a huge amount from my time here. I know you will continue to offer your support to the Staff Wellbeing Service as it moves forward.

If anyone would like to join me for a drink to say hello/goodbye I will be in Café 29 on PP on Wednesday 30th November between 4 and 6pm.

I would also like to remind you of our external counselling service:

Cardiff University’s Employee Assistance Programme gives you access to confidential, expert advice and information, counselling and online support. This can help you better prepare for and cope with life events – including the things that could potentially cause you anxiety and stress. We now have a new provider for our Employee Assistance Programme which means that there are even more resources to support you.

If you require any new posters or publicity packs for your areas please contact Keith Lynch lynchka@cardiff.ac.uk or 02920 879572.

What support is available and how to access it

Please refer to the table below for how to access available services. Care First’s advisers aim to answer your questions immediately or refer you to the most appropriate source of information.

Service Description How to access
Crisis support Care First can help you and your colleagues respond to a crisis. To access this support you need to contact a member of the University’s Staff Wellbeing Service. The Wellbeing team will listen to what you need and then contact Care First to arrange support. Email or phone the University’s Staff Wellbeing team on 02920 79572; staffwellbeing@cardiff.ac.uk
Counselling Counselling support is available to help you with a wide range of issues. Your call will be received by a qualified counsellor and the service is available 24/7, for telephone and face-to-face appointments. Freephone 0800174319, Int: +44 (0)1452 623243, 24/7
Management support As a manager you can contact Care First for support and advice. Freephone 0800174319, Int: +44 (0)1452 623243, 24/7
Information services Information Specialists are available to help with financial and legal matters, consumer issues, eldercare, childcare, employment and benefits. Freephone 0800174319, Int: +44 (0)1452 623243, Monday to Friday, 08:00-20:00
Zest Interactive health, wellbeing and fitness management programme. Available online, or as an iOS, Android or Blackberry App. Visit the Zest website to register an account using the Organisation Code ‘wf1’
Lifestyle A comprehensive online health and wellbeing library portal which focuses on supporting all areas of an individual’s life, including: relationships, family, bereavement, change, stress, conflict, promotion, retirement, depression, stress, smoking and diet. Visit the Lifestyle portal using the Username ‘cau001’ and Password ‘university’

Feedback for the EAP

Whatever support you accessed, whether counselling, management or other, we would really appreciate if you would take a couple of minutes to let us know about your experience.

Your feedback can help us monitor and improve the support available to yourself and colleagues.

Finally, the Staff Wellbeing Service will be offering a range of workshops over the next few months to promote and enhance staff wellbeing. They will be advertised through Blas in the next week and booking will open then, but here’s a taster of what’s to come:

Seasonal Wellbeing programme:

– Seasonal Self-Care 12-1pm, 6th December Hilary Green, Park Place

– Seasonal Self-Care 1-2pm, 8th December Cathy Bailey, HPC

– Seasonal Resilience 12.30-2.30pm, 14th December Hilary Green and Keith Lynch PP

– Introduction to Mindfulness 1-2pm 15th December Cathy Bailey PP

Many thanks again and very best wishes

Tina Abbott, Staff Counselling Manager

HD Peaceful Wallpapers Free