FAQsMoving to postgraduate studyPostgraduate life

Amelia Baugh – Postgraduate to Undergraduate

21 May 2018

Ever wondered what makes our students stay at Cardiff University for postgraduate study after completing their undergraduate degree? Read on to find out what some of our students have to say…

What are you studying at postgraduate level?

English Literature MA

What did you study at undergraduate?

English Literature

Did you come directly from UG to PG or take a break?

Directly

What do you love about Cardiff?

I love living in Cardiff, it’s such a great city. It has great places to eat, excellent bars and a vibrant arts scene.

Where’s your favourite place in Cardiff and why?

Probably Chapter Arts Centre. It’s my favourite because it has an excellent bar that stocks a great selection of beers, the food is really good and it’s also reasonably priced. Plus, Chapter is a theatre, cinema, live music venue and gallery. So there is always something going on that you can get involved with.

Why did you decide to stay at Cardiff for your postgraduate studies?

I wanted to stay at Cardiff as I had such a good experience studying for my BA in English Literature that staying at Cardiff for my MA was the best decision for me. The faculty were so supportive and really encouraged me to develop my research interests.

What are the benefits of studying at postgraduate level?

There are so many benefits for studying at postgraduate level but for me personally I find studying an MA an ideal stepping stone in preparation for a PhD. It has helped me apply myself more independently to my research and allowed me to grow as a student.

How is postgraduate study different from undergraduate?

Studying at postgraduate level differs from undergraduate study as you are given opportunities to develop your academic interests in a wider interdisciplinary way. As well as this, English MA Students are encouraged to attend a conference at Gregynog Hall and present an academic paper. It’s a real step-up from the BA.

What support is available at Cardiff as a postgraduate student?

There is a lot of support for postgraduates at Cardiff, the academic staff are so helpful and the services available at the Students Union are great for anyone looking for advice on student life.

The English Literature department was the main reason I decided to stay at Cardiff, I really enjoyed my undergraduate experiences and wanted to continue studying in an environment I enjoyed and was comfortable in.

How do you fund your postgraduate studies?

I am funding my studies myself, but getting the Master’s Excellence Scholarship helped me manage the financial costs of the course.

Looking back at your time as an undergraduate is there anything you’d do differently?

I would probably not do anything differently as my undergraduate degree was such a rewarding experience.