The Inter Library Loan team is introducing DRM Lite for its delivery of British Library electronic journal articles and chapters27 November 2017
What is DRM Lite?
It is a plug-in free electronic delivery method used by the British Library. It allows delivery of secure, encrypted documents in accordance with Copyright Legislation.
In Cardiff University we are changing the manner in which patrons access their British Library electronic inter library loan journal articles by introducing this British Library DRM Lite system. It will replace the current Fileopen software needed to open journal articles.
The Health, Dental, Archie Cochrane and Velindre Hospital libraries have already piloted this since mid-October. As this pilot has been running smoothly it has been decided to extend DRM Lite to the remainder of Cardiff University library sites.
There are several benefits for both the requesters and the ILL team.
Benefits for requester
No plug-in needed, which means that:-
- Document is locked to the user rather than a machine
- Can be viewed on any machine, including mobile devices
- Can be viewed anywhere
- You only need to register for BLDSS/On Demand once; a straight forward procedure
- You need to have access to the internet
- You will need Adobe 10 or above on your device. BL possess stats that indicate that over 98% of machines have Adobe 10 installed