Jobs and work experience, Studying

Applying for a PhD – Part 2

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven’t posted anything for a while, I’ve been a little stressed with exams, then post grad plans, and now my Final Year Project write-up.

Last time I wrote about how you totally can apply for a PhD, even if you are feeling a little doubtful. This time I want to cover the other side of this…just because you are graduating, it doesn’t mean that you have to immediately apply to do a PhD, or even a Masters.

I realised in the middle of my application that I wasn’t actually ready to do a PhD, so instead I plan on applying to do a Masters, and then I will apply for the PhD I want, once I have gained some more experience. I realised that I was putting myself under a lot of pressure to apply for a PhD when I really wasn’t ready. I didn’t want to let myself, or my potential supervisor down. On top of this the stress of applying for a PhD was far too much in the middle of my last semester of University.

A lot of my friends are feeling the pressure too, we constantly get told that we need to be always working towards our career, which is kind of true, but it is definitely okay to take it slow, or take a break, most of us are still really young when we graduate.

The take home message is really that you need to do what is best for you. I know there is a lot of pressure to apply for post grad study immediately, but it is completely okay to take some time out before you decide, or to skip post grad study entirely and start searching for a job. I would also add here that you also shouldn’t panic if your dream job doesn’t immediately jump out at you; try something different, or maybe just do something you’re used to while you look for the right job.

Don’t panic!