Living away from home, Settling in, Studying

Going to university part 3 (final)

Advice for Students about to start university.

Many undergraduates feel nervous during their first couple of weeks at university. Sometimes it feels like you are being thrown in the deep end straight after fresher’s week. No advice, no nothing and that can be quite overwhelming. I wish sixth forms and colleges could prepare us more by working with universities. For example, running regular practical workshops with current university students. For the last couple of weeks, I wondered what kind of advice I would have liked to receive. Well, here it is.

Doja- Huawei
Greatest fear: Failure.
Overcoming fear: Just do it. Do not think about it.
Advice for new students: Be open, try to do new things. Do not have a rigid plan. Things happen s*** legit happens.

Doja from Huawei UK

Naomi– Chemistry year 3 (Cardiff)
Greatest fear: Not enjoying my course.
Overcoming fear: Staying open, meeting people and engaging in the lectures. Luckily, I do really enjoy my course.
Advice for new students: Challenge yourself and be friendly. Try meeting lots of people. Embracing university life before entering work life is important.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Hopefully I would have graduated with a good grade from Cardiff and have done a lot more travelling. I would like to get a graduate scheme which encourages travel in different areas of the world.

Nancy left Naomi right

Josh- University of Manchester
Greatest fear: Getting stuck in a 9-5 where I don’t make a positive impact on anyone.
Overcoming fear: Not settling for the lowest common denominator. Also, always pushing myself out of my comfort zone.
Advice for new students: think back to the person you were 1 year ago. If you are not embarrassed by some aspect then, you have not made enough personal progress. Always aim to outdo yourself. Remember to be there for others when they need you- kindness is not easily forgotten.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Still pushing myself to learn and understand the world & those that live on it. Finding ways to improve those lives.

Simon- Huawei
Greatest fear: Paralysis
Advice for new students: Try to enjoy yourself. But, remember you still want to have some options when you graduate.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Still working for Huawei.

Jessie- Huawei
Greatest fear: Not being with my son for a very long time.
Advice for new students: Open yourself to every experience you can have. University is the most wonderful experience you can have.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Hope I will be on track to achieve my dream in my chosen career and enjoying my life.

Mathew- CRCC
Greatest fear: Never living up to my own expectations.
Overcoming fear: I try my hardest at everything that I am passionate about.
Advice for new students: Enjoy the time. University is always hard because you are always thinking about the next task and the next dance and the next experience. You never really take the time to take a step back and say, “what I am doing right now is unbelievable”. Getting the chance to read, getting the chance to study, getting the chance to expand knowledge is the most noble pursuit one can have.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Starting my own company- integrating Chinese students into UK, US and Australian universities.

Mathew from CRCC

• rate Psychics

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my
    trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!

• Nancyanne

Thank you very much and thanks to your cousin as well.
      🙂

• Health Benefit – Mixed Martial Arts

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking
    forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!