Class of 2014

Spotlight on: Florence Barnes

2 July 2014

Florence Barnes headshot

“I have had the most fantastic time at Cardiff. I have met some amazing friends, and really enjoyed getting involved with various activities alongside my degree.”

Meet Law graduate Florence, Careers Officer for the Law Society and organiser of the ‘Best Small Event’ according to this year’s Societies Awards.

Hi Florence, congrats on your First Class LLB – I bet you’re glad to have a break from the early starts! Why did you choose to study law?

I chose Law as I had always enjoyed watching legal dramas such as Silk on TV. I transferred to Law in Cardiff after beginning a Physics degree at another university (and hating it!).

What did you do in your precious spare time?

I took part in mooting competitions (a form of legal debate set in a mock courtroom scenario) and I also worked behind the bar in the Students Union. This year I was elected as Careers Officer of Cardiff University Law Society. In my role I organised various careers events throughout the year, and also organised the Law Society Public Speaking Series. I was delighted when the Public Speaking Series won ‘Best Small Event’ at the Societies Awards in May.

Wow, impressive! How did you manage to fit it all in?

They key to fitting everything in was definitely good time management and careful planning. In particularly busy weeks I had almost every hour of my time carefully planned to make sure I could keep up with everything.

You sound set for life in the ‘real world’! What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I will be starting the LPC (legal practice course). I have been lucky enough to get a training contract with a London law firm, and will start work with them in September 2015 upon completion of the LPC.

How are you feeling about graduation day? 

I am very excited about graduation day! The graduation ceremony is at 10 am, then the Law School is holding a drinks reception. We will probably go and find lunch somewhere nice in town afterwards.

You sound like you’ve made the most of your time in Cardiff. What advice would you give to future students?

My advice would be to get involved in absolutely everything you can, especially in first year as you will never have that much free time at university again! Go to events, volunteer for things and you will meet some fantastic people and get many amazing opportunities.