International Exchange

Withdrawal Symptoms

20 September 2015
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

Two months home and these withdrawal symptoms have not faded… I need to go back. It seems like only yesterday I was typing away for my previous blogs on departing for Australia and settling into my temporary home, and now I’m looking back wondering where time has gone. For all of you future Globetrotters, get ready to have the time of your life! Don’t get me wrong, studying abroad outside of your comfort zone seems absolutely terrifying – trust me I get it! However, you will have no regrets!

I know everybody has a different experience when studying abroad, so I just want to share with you guys, in my eyes, the top 5 advantages of working/studying in another country; advantages that have given me some of my greatest memories.

5. You make friends with the country’s native wildlife

It wasn't only humans I made close friends with!
It wasn’t only humans I made close friends with!

I wanted to bring him home!
I wanted to bring him home!

4. The education you receive from experiencing a different culture and seeing monumental landmarks is limitless. I now understand the phrase, “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”.

The magnificent 12 Apostles, Victoria.
The magnificent 12 Apostles, Victoria.

3. You can travel to different places within your host country; experience is invaluable.

Had my fair share of vitamin sea at this place!
Seeing the most incredible beaches
Incredible beaches.

2. You can travel to neighbouring countries. Warning: if you start this you may catch the ‘wanderlust’ bug; symptoms include a strong desire or urge to wander/travel and explore the world.

Trekking through the Balinese jungle!
Trekking through the Balinese jungle!

1. You will expand your social network. My time in Australia would not have been the same without the people that I met. People that were once strangers became my best friends.

1 Welsh surrounded by Americans in Australia!

My study abroad family.
My study abroad family.

There you have it, my 5 best things about travelling/studying/working abroad. Before I go I will say this, coming home is kind of a funny thing. You feel as if everything has changed, when in fact everything still looks and feels the same. Soon you realise that it is you that has changed, and this is not a bad thing. Personally, I have grown as a person and have an outlook on life that I never had before. Therefore, I have absolutely no regrets.

So, if you are reading this and debating about going abroad, I’m sure you know what my advice is. It’s better to look back on life and say, “I can’t believe I did that” rather than, “I wish I’d done that”.

Until next time,

Naomi