InternshipsNews

Meet Lisa Robillard

16 February 2016
Woman in glasses and shoulder-length hair smiling into the camera. She's standing next to a banner with 'europe direct Cardiff EDC' printed on it.

Lisa will be with us full time from February until June 2016. She comes from France and studies European Studies at Blaise Pascal University in Clermont-Ferrand.

We have asked her five questions in order for you to get to know her.

1. What convinced you to join the Cardiff EDC for an internship?

To complete my Bachelor degree in my home university, it was necessary that I find an internship abroad, in accordance with my studies. As I was studying in Cardiff University for the first semester, I looked to do my internship in Cardiff as well and that’s how I find the Cardiff EDC. What convinced me to join it was that it is a place when people can find all the information they need about the EU and I wanted to know what it was like to work in such a place, because I think that it is important to bring the EU closer to its citizens.

2. What are you currently studying and how does this relate to your work at the EDC?

I am doing European Studies, so I basically study the European Union in many aspects, such as History, Politics, Law, Philosophy and even Cinema! My work at the EDC is directly related to my studies because it allows me to put into practice all the knowledge I have acquired during my studies.

3. What do you hope to achieve whilst working at the EDC?

I hope to improve my knowledge of the European Union and its institutions even more and I also wish to develop new skills that I haven’t been able to develop within my studies. As I said before, it is a true opportunity for me to apply my knowledge of the EU into something concrete. I think working here is also a good way to improve my professional skills and give me some experience for the future.

4. How are you finding the experience of working at the Cardiff EDC and living in Cardiff so far?

I have been in Cardiff since September and I find the city and the people lovely. I really enjoy living here. Concerning the EDC, it has been only a week but I already feel that I am going to like working here. The work I have to do is really interesting and different from what I am used to do in my studies. The team and the other interns are also very nice and I have been integrated in the group very quickly!

5. Could you briefly tell us what Europe means and has meant to you?

Europe means a lot to me. It is now an important part of my life as I have decided to dedicate myself to its promotion and defence. Europe – and more specifically the EU – is more than just a continent, it is the gathering of several countries into one single entity. The concept of the EU is something unique and what makes it beautiful is all the different languages, cultures and customs composing it. I think that it is kind of obvious but I am definitely pro-European and I will always stay that way, no matter the issues and challenges the EU has to face.