InternshipsNews

Meet Bruno Conte

8 August 2016
Bruno Conte

Bruno Conte is one of our latest interns at the Cardiff EDC. He will be with us full time from August until September 2016.  He comes from Sicily and studies Law at the University of Catania.

We have asked him five questions in order for you to get to know him …

1. What convinced you to join the Cardiff EDC for an internship?

I am interested in European matters, and it is the right place if you want to learn more about them. Also the opinions of the previous interns convinced me to apply for an internship in Cardiff EDC. Anyway, the idea of working “encircled” by the paper of the books of a library is fascinating in itself.

2. What are you currently studying and how does this relate to your work at the EDC?

I study Law at the University of Catania, in Italy. I think that nowadays law students should know how the European Union works, and what kind of impact its bodies and its decisions may have in each Member State and in the national legal order.

3. What do you hope to achieve whilst working at the EDC?

If the EU is often seen with scepticism and concerns it is, also, because citizens don’t know it in details: I hope to acquire a deeper and wider knowledge about European Union, in order to have a more conscious idea about its activities. I hope also to improve my IT skills as our work requires a good use of the computer, and I consider this internship a good opportunity to improve my English as well.

4. How are you finding the experience of working at the Cardiff EDC and living in Cardiff so far?

I am finding my experience at the Cardiff EDC very positive. I feel very comfortable with the EDC staff and the other interns, and I appreciate working in a quiet environment. About Cardiff, it is a nice medium-sized city, and at first sight a good place to live in, especially for Erasmus students or trainees. The district of Cathays, seat of many modern buildings of the University of Cardiff, is fine for students and young professionals. I haven’t already seen all the attractions, and I look forward to visiting Cardiff Castle. Cardiff Bay is a very nice place to have a relaxed walk, but my favourite place so far is Bute Park, a green oasis in the middle of the crowded city centre: It is absolutely worth a visit!

5. Could you briefly tell us what Europe means and has meant to you?

First of all, Europe for me is the cradle of human rights. Its contribution in the recognition of fundamental rights for the individuals and for the communities of peoples, minorities included, is indisputable. Then, Europe for me is beauty, everywhere. Peoples of all around the world admire our art, our literature, our music and our lifestyle: we should be proud to be European.