Events

PATHOS Clinical Trial: Exploring De-Intensification in Head and Neck Cancer

27 July 2024

The PATHOS clinical trial is investigating the potential benefits of de-intensified treatment for individuals with head and neck cancer, specifically HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer. Led by Professors Terry Jones and Mererid Evans, the trial is funded by Cancer Research UK, co-sponsored by Cardiff University and Velindre University NHS Trust and managed by the Centre for Trials Research at Cardiff University.

The recruitment target of 1,269 participants has been achieved, and we acknowledge the fantastic support from participants and sites.  The study aims to compare the outcomes of less intensive treatment against standard treatment. The primary focus is on whether a reduced intensity approach can minimize swallowing difficulties without compromising the effectiveness of the treatment.

All participants undergo surgery to remove their cancer, a procedure that remains consistent regardless of trial participation. Following surgery, a pathologist examines the cancer tissue under a microscope and identifies key features, such as the cancer stage, which help doctors determine the necessity and type of additional treatment.

Participants in Group A do not require further treatment, but still have follow up visits with the trial team.

Participants in Group B will have radiotherapy.

Participants in Group C will have radiotherapy alone or radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

The PATHOS trial represents a significant step towards optimizing cancer treatment by potentially reducing side effects while maintaining efficacy.

Feedback from PATHOS Participants

A Cardiff dad-of-two who thanks research for saving his life has been chosen to launch STAND UP TO CANCER in Wales. Read more at https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/painless-lump-mentioned-way-out-28427376

A throat cancer survivor says a pioneering clinical trial has “helped me get back to enjoying life with my wife”.

Another participant reported   Taking part in the trial has “given me a lot more mental security” as he has been in hospital and “I’m constantly checked up on it”. 

Read more at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3g9j48n649o

Another participant wrote to the study team with the following feedback:

After six years of following a lower dosage of radiotherapy, I am grateful to report that I can swallow normally, except for rare difficulties with very sticky foods, thanks to the dedication of a multidisciplinary team of health professionals. As an engineer, I found that seeing x-ray footage of my swallowing during the PATHOS study greatly enhanced my understanding of the importance of swallowing exercises, and I suggest that similar visual aids might help other patients comprehend and adhere to their exercises.

The trial closes recruitment in October 2024, with results expected early 2028.   The study team is so grateful to all the sites and all the wonderful participants who have supported this trial.