Cardiff Award

Meet Lauren Thornell, shortlisted for Cardiff Award Student of the Year 2018

Lauren is 1 of 8 students shortlisted for Cardiff Award Student of the Year.

Lauren, who studies Music, undertook a diverse range of activities and really made the most of her time on the programme. Lauren used her time on the Award to consider her options and as a result of being a part of the programme and being a police student volunteer has found her career path and secured a position as a special constable whilst still studying and enjoying her passion and talent in music.

What have you enjoyed most about the Cardiff Award?

I have enjoyed taking part in activities that are completely different to what I would usually participate in as a Music student. I volunteered on the Student Police Scheme with South Wales Police, this is something I would not have done if it wasn’t for the goal I set myself at the start of the Award! From my development on the Award I have identified future career prospects.

Do you have any tips for student’s currently participating in the Award?

Make sure you stay on top of everything. Don’t leave it until the last minute! Keep setting yourself goals to work towards so that you really make the most of the Award.

What would you say to students thinking about signing up to the Cardiff Award?

Don’t think twice about it! Just sign up! It’s worth taking part to ensure that your application stands out from other graduates. Also, it gives you recognition for any extra-curricular activities that you take part in. If you don’t take part in any, it is the perfect excuse to get started!

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.