Cardiff Award

Meet Jocelyne Green, shortlisted for Cardiff Award Student of the Year 2018

Jocelyne is 1 of 8 students shortlisted for Cardiff Award Student of the Year.

Jocelyne, who studies French and Spanish, submitted a portfolio which showed in-depth reflection of the skills she has developed. She was involved in a wide range of opportunities for her extra-curricular hours. These included, volunteering for a food bank, teaching English, a part-time job, being the Erasmus society president, a student rep, a teaching assistant, just to name a few.

What have you enjoyed most about the Cardiff Award?

I have definitely enjoyed the extra-curricular activities most, especially volunteering as President of ESN Cardiff, as this both challenged and pushed me into becoming a more confident and well-rounded person. I also found the CV & Cover Letter Clinic very useful as it has helped me secure a place on a certTESOL course this summer.

Do you have any tips for student’s currently participating in the Award?

Stay organised! Aim to complete your employability workshops as soon as possible, so you do not have to worry about squeezing them in closer to the submission deadline. Additionally, writing the reflective accounts as you go along will really help you complete the final reflective log at the end of the Award.

What would you say to students thinking about signing up to the Cardiff Award?

I would say go for it as you have nothing to lose! Completing the Award has pushed me outside of my comfort zone at times but without that extra motivation, I might never have achieved the things I have this past year. It has also helped me become a more self-reflective learner, which has benefited my degree as well.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.