Cardiff Award

Meet the New Award Bloggers

The Cardiff Award is welcoming 176 students onto the 2013-2014 programme during June 2013.  We have recruited a whole new team of bloggers to share their ups and downs, alongside thoughts on their Award experience!  Over the next few weeks we will introduce each of them to you here so watch this space…

Let’s start with Rhian Davies:

Rhian Davies bio picHi, I’m Rhian, a final year Psychology student. I’ve just moved back to Cardiff after completing a placement year in London, working as a research assistant. I applied for the Cardiff Award because I liked that it offered recognition for participating in extra-curricular activities and I thought it would look great on my CV! Outside studying I love dancing; I am a former committee member of Expression as well as a member of Pole Dance Society and Broadway. I hope you’ll enjoy reading my posts!

Meet Ollie...

Oliver Curtis bio picHey, I’m Ollie, a second year Computer Science student at Cardiff University. I applied for the Cardiff Award because of the opportunities that it offers, and the recognition you get  for completing the Award. Throughout the Award I hope to learn new skills and build upon my existing skills. Completing the Award will also give me a CV boost too! I am looking forward to meeting everyone on the Award and learning new skills throughout the year. I hope you will enjoy reading about my Cardiff Award experiences!

Meet James:

james ledward bio picName: James Ledward
Age: 20
Studying: Maths with Operational Research and Statistics
Interests: Theatre, formula 1 racing, current affairs
Why did I apply: I just thought that the Cardiff Award seemed like too great of an opportunity to let slip by.  It’s a great opportunity to put something completely different on your CV and I really wanted to take on the challenge of completing the Award. Not only so I could develop academically but so that I could also grow as a person.
Here’s Olivia:
O Witt Bio Pic

Hi, my name is Olivia Rebecca Witt and I am a first year Business Management student at Cardiff Business School.  I was born and grew up in the beautiful seaside town Bournemouth, where I live with my mum, dad and little sister. I graduated from Bournemouth School for Girls in 2012 which was shortly followed by Cardiff University.

I have many hobbies but the main one is rowing which I took up at University. I live and breathe it! I love anything challenging be it physical, mental or both.  For example I am doing the London to Paris cycle in July 2013, the Cardiff half marathon in October 2013 and of course the Cardiff Award!

Say Hi to Javed:

Bio pic JavedHi, I’m Javed Rachman and I am a second year Ecology student.  I chose to apply for the Cardiff Award because I think that it’s a great way to show employers that you have the skills that they’re looking for. Even though I love studying Ecology I know that there is a massive chance that I will not end up pursuing a career in Ecology. I think the Cardiff Award will allow me to broaden my horizons and show to employers that even though I am a scientist I still have a knowledge and understanding of business. Next year I will be part of the social committee along with Elena, Francesca and George so if you have any ideas for social events next year hit us up! What gave me a better understanding of the Award was the past blogs posted by previous awardee participants. I hope by blogging about my experiences of the Award it will encourage others to apply next year!

Meet Tom:

Tom Allen bio picHi, I’m Tom Allen, a second year English Language and French student. I decided to sign up for the Cardiff Award because of the array of opportunities and future employability prospects it offers to so many students. The chance to improve my self-presentation, CV and prepare for job interviews are just some of the things of which I hope to take full advantage of. Apart from my studies I am enjoy playing the piano and have done so for 8 years now. I am also the President of the French Society so this is a great way to be sociable and get involved with other people.

Introducing Laura:

Laura Carter Bio picHello, I’m Laura Carter and I’m about to enter my second year at Cardiff University, studying Modern History and Politics. I’m from a very sleepy town in the heart of rural Shropshire, fondly known as ‘The Shire’. I applied for the Cardiff Award because I believed it really offered the opportunity for all of the skills that you’re constantly developing whilst at university to be recognised and presented as a complete entity to prospective employers. It also means I’m given credit for the time and effort that I put into my hobbies and favourite activities. For example, I’m the 2013/4 Secretary for Cardiff University’s Amnesty International Society and I also enjoy writing for Quench magazine.

Meet Christina:

christina profile picHello, I’m Christina Cunliffe and I’m a third year student studying Journalism, Media and Sociology at Cardiff University. I am taking part in the Cardiff Award scheme in the coming year and I’m very much excited about the upcoming events and activities that will take place. I decided to apply for the Award as I felt I needed that added something to demonstrate my extra-curricular activities, and the reputation and requirements of the Award provide the perfect opportunity. I will be blogging about my journey along the way keeping you updated about the ups and downs, including my attempts at great time management, something I have not always been good at. I hope you all enjoy!

Say hello to Surabhi!

Surabhi BioHi I’m Surabhi, moving on to my second year in LLB Law at Cardiff University. I’m from New Delhi, India, a county rich in culture and known for it’s diversity. Apart from studying law, I enjoy reading, writing and dancing. I believe that this Award is a perfect opportunity for me to further enhance my skills as not only as a budding lawyer but also as an individual with tons of experience in various fields. I’m also looking forward to meeting and interacting with new people through this Award.