Next week (4th August) all the pcs on ground and 1st floor of the Health Library are being replaced, on Monday morning all the pcs will be marked as out of order while the process takes place which we hope to complete by the middle of the week. To assist with this some of the pcs are being removed today.
There will be pcs available on the 2nd floor of the Health Library as well as in Rm 1.22 in Ty Dewi Sant and also the Dental Library.
We will not be replacing all of the pcs with fixed desktop pcs, we have purchased 15 laptops which will be available to be borrowed Monday – Friday 8.30am – 7pm and Saturday 9am – 5pm, these will be available to be borrowed from the Library enquiry desk from the beginning of the new academic year. We’ll add more information to the blog as we have it.
Over the summer, the University Library Service will be making some changes to the way that loan categories are managed. The changes, which will be introduced in time for the start of the 2014/15 academic year, will simplify the loan categories, increase availability of books, and ensure a more consistent experience across the University’s Library sites.
The key changes which will be introduced are:
- The number of items that most users can borrow at any one time will be increased.
- Email notifications will be introduced to alert all users when an item is due for return or renewal.
- A maximum of 25 renewals will be permitted on all items.
- User categories will be streamlined for greater simplicity and clarity.
- Items on 13-week loan will be recalled to the library if they are reserved by another user, with return requested within two weeks from the date of the recall.
The changes will apply to new loans from the week beginning 11th August 2014.
We did – After working with University Estates & Vinci Park Services UK Ltd , we are now able to offer students the ability to park outside the Cochrane building at night and weekends to be able to make use of the Library’s 24/7 facilities.
What times can I park – You will be able to park Mon-Fri 6pm – 6am and at the weekends. You will still have to pay for car parking which will be £1.05 for up to 12 hours.
Where can I park – You will be able to park in car parks 16 & 18, in front and behind the Cochrane building
What do we need to do – You will need to purchase a permit supplied by Vinci, these will cost £3 and last the length of your course.
How do I get a permit – You will need to fill in a form which you can get from the the Health Library enquiry desk (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 7pm or Saturday 9am – 5pm) please bring with you your University ID card and the registration of your card. The Library will then authorise the form and send it to the Vinci Office where they will process the permits and have them ready to pick up 24-48 hours later. You will need to pay your £3 when you pick up the permit.
It is now possible to print from your laptop to one of the multi-functional devices (MFD’s) in the Libraries, if you have a myPrint account.
Log into myPrint, select the webPrint option and upload your document. Visit a device to download your work, note it will auto-delete after 4 hours
More instructions available here: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/insrv/resources/guides/inf097.pdf
This will also work if you want to send a printing job from home and pick it up in the library.
From the Cardiff University libraries main blog:
Follow @cardiffunilib on Twitter, and check out the #FOLLOWMEprinting hashtag to see tips on how to print and copy. Here’s a step-by-step to submitting your print job:
- On a university computer, send your document to the FOLLOW-ME print queue. To be green and save money, printing defaults to grayscale and 2-sided.
- To change the settings, click ‘Printer Properties’. You can then change ‘Grayscale’ to ‘Auto color’, and ‘2-sided’ to 1-sided’.
- Log in to any FOLLOW-ME printer/copier to release your print job. You’ll find them near the computers in libraries across the university.
- We recommend you log in to the FOLLOW-ME printer/copiers using your ID card and PIN. You can use username and password, but it takes longer!
- To set up a PIN for logging in to FOLLOW-ME, go to your print account (https://myprint.cf.ac.uk:9192/user) and ‘Change PIN’.
- Having set up your PIN, go to a FOLLOW-ME printer/copier, enter your username and password, then swipe your card.
- To release a print job from a FOLLOW-ME printer/copier, log in, press ‘Release’, select your documents, and press the start button.
- To photocopy on a FOLLOW-ME printer/copier, log in, then use the copying features on the touchscreen. Like printing, it defaults to 2-sided.
- You can print to a FOLLOW-ME printer/copier from home, or your laptop, or from anywhere. Go to https://myprint.cf.ac.uk:9192/user , then ‘webPrint’.
- Your FOLLOW-ME print jobs will be held for four hours, after which they will be deleted if you don’t release them. You won’t be charged!
If you have any questions about using the FOLLOW-ME print system, just ask any member of library staff. Follow @cardiffunilib on Twitter, and check out the #FOLLOWMEprinting hashtag to see tips on how to print and copy.
Unsure of how to place reservations on items in LibrarySearch, watch the following video and learn how to do it.
The new health library will be self service issuing and returning which will mean a quicker service, the ability to be 24/7 and will free up staff to deal with your more in depth queries.
We’ d just like to reinforce to all staff and students that to loan books you will need to have your Library card with you.
You will also need it to gain swipe access to the building outside of normal library staffed times. (The library will have 24/7 access) NHS staff will be able to do this with their NHS id badge.