Meet the Staff- Jenny

What is your name and job title?

JennyJenny Lange – I’m a placement student from the University of Applied Sciences in Cologne.

Why are you doing a work placement?

It is part of my University course to do a practical semester – we only get to choose where we go!

How long have you been in Cardiff and did you work in other libraries before coming to Heath?

I arrived at the end of February, so it’s been quite a while now.
The Music Library is where I started my placement in March. I remained there for 9 (fun) weeks. After that I spent 4 (fun) weeks at Trevithick, so the Health Library is my last stop before going home mid-July!
Don’t worry Health Library, you are also fun.

Why did you choose Cardiff University for your placement?

I’ve always been quite fond of the UK in general and when I found out that two other students from my Uni spent their practical semester in Cardiff, I contacted them and, after hearing their enthusiasm about it, decided to apply and here we are!

So… Why did you decide to become a librarian?

conan

I’ve always had an affinity for books and loved spending time at the library from an early age. So when the time came to think about what I was going to do next in my life, the decision to take that path came quite easily.

Where did you live as a child?

A little town called Weisweiler – go on, google it. Or don’t. You’re not missing anything.

What do you like best about Cardiff?

The parks! I also like the fact that everything is in close proximity and you can basically just walk everywhere. And the people are so polite and friendly. Mostly not used to that. Sorry, Germans.

What did you do before you worked here?

I lived in a land far, far away. Studied very, very hard (-ish) and had a part-time job at a publisher. Kind of feels like there should be a punchline around here somewhere …

tumwe

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?

hana

I’m pretty sure it was ‘St. Claire’s’ by Enid Blyton.

(Yeah. Patricia and Isabel are called Hanni and Nanni in the German version. Don’t ask me.)

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?

One of my favourite authors is Stephen King and I’m currently reading his ‘Dark Tower’-Series. I’m also into Thriller/Crime novels, for example. In stark contrast to that, I really enjoyed ‘Anna Karenina’ by Lew Tolstoy. So many books to read, so little time.

Although I do own an eBook-Reader (occasionally used), I prefer holding a real book in my hands. And I just like having all of my books on a shelf.

When it comes to research literature, eBooks are pretty useful though in my opinion.

And it’s so much better than having to pack a dozen books when you’re going on holiday!

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library/Service?

It’s very interesting to see the wide range of patrons coming in, not just students, but doctors, nurses, other staff and so on.

Judging just from appearance, I also like how open and bright the library is. Oh, and it being located 10 minutes doesn’t hurt.