Meet the Staff- Nicholas Collins

What is your name and job title?
Nicholas Collins, Senior Library Assistant.
What are your Qualifications?
I hold an MA in English Literature.

Where did you live as a child?

Dinas Powys, just outside of Cardiff.

What do you like best about Cardiff?

Having traveled a bit in recent years, I certainly appreciate how compact it is compared to many other places. Also, despite a small amount of nostalgia for how the city looked when I was a child, I think the recent (ish) developments around the Hayes and the pedestrianisation of St. Mary’s street have made enormous improvements.

What did you do before you worked here?

I worked in Aberconway Library and was also self-employed as a copy-editor / copywriter. I’ve also worked in Trevithick Library and the Science Library, so this is the fourth Cardiff University library I’ve worked in!

What was the The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_04_-_Cigars_of_the_Pharaohfirst library book you remember reading for pleasure?

It was either ‘Tin Tin and the Cigars of the Pharoah’ or an Asterix book, I’m not sure.

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?
Recently I’ve been reading lots of non-fiction about social justice and environmental issues, like ‘The Spirit Level’ by Kate Pickett and Richard Wilkinson and ‘Eating Animals’ by Jonathan Safran Foer, but also on my ‘to-read’ list are Morrissey’s ‘Autobiography’ and Margaret Atwood’s ‘Maddaddam’. I’m also eagerly awaiting the next ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ book!With regards to hardcopy or electronic, it tends to be a bit of both. When I need to buy something I tend to get an electronic copy if I can as it’s more convenient and environmentally friendly, but I also take advantage of the fact that working for the university library service gives me access to an enormous selection of hard copy books.

Give an instance of one of your most interesting library related queries.

I was puzzling over how I was going to answer this one, as I haven’t been here that long and so haven’t had to deal with a very large range of queries, but then some kind soul phoned up and asked whether anyone had handed a skull into lost property.

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library/ Service?
I like the fact that it’s got such a large scope in terms of its range of users, and how connected it is with not only the university and the hospital, but other hospitals, healthcare libraries and similar organisations. It’s certainly interesting dealing with such a wide range of people and organisations.