Meet the Staff Angela

AngelaWhat is your name and job title?
Angela Bowyer, Subject Librarian Nursing and Midwifery Studies

What are your subject area interests?
Developing the Nursing and Midwifery Collection both in print and electronic formats. Liaison work with SONMS staff and students on various committees and teaching Information Skills to students/staff. I am also a member of the Library Ebooks group.

What are your Qualifications?
BA ( Hons) Information and Library Studies.

Where did you live as a child?
In the beautiful Vale of Clwyd, North Wales in the small village of Rhewl, two miles from the town of Ruthin.

What do you like best about Cardiff?
It’s a very friendly capital city with good Theatres, the great St Fagans National History Museum and the National Museum Cardiff and the lovely mix of restaurants in town and down the bay.

What did you do before you worked here?
I have worked in Public Libraries, Mobile Libraries, Museums and School Libraries. My first job was based at the Denbighshire Library Headquarters which was sited at the Old Gaol in Ruthin (Pentonville model). Going up to find a title kept in the reserved fiction stock in the cells was very spooky, especially the padded cell. This was in the days before Health & Safety!!!

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?
One of Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven stories, I loved reading them all. Then moving onto reading the Famous Five series.

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?
I’m afraid I haven’t yet made the jump to using an e-reader. Everywhere you go now you see more and more people using kindles etc. I enjoy reading many different genres Fantasy, Detective and Romantic novels. Currently reading Poppy Day by Amanda Prowse

Give an instance of one of your most interesting queries
Helping a member of staff to find a copy of a very old government report. They didn’t have the correct name of the report so it took quite a bit of detective work to find exactly what they wanted.

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library Service?
The nice airy feel of the Health library, and the zoned areas for different types of study. Also the fact that the library is open 24/7.