Meet the staff – Liz

Liz profile pic

What is your name and job title?

I’m Liz Gillen and I’m subject Librarian for the Schools of Nursing and Healthcare Studies.

What are your subject area interests? 

One of the main aspects of my role is to promote information literacy and teach IL skills to both staff and students.  I also have a particular interest in critical appraisal and the systematic review of healthcare literature.

What are your Qualifications? 

My undergraduate degree was in Geography, which I studied in Cheltenham.  I also have a Master’s degree in Health Information Management which I studied via Distance Learning at Aberystwyth.  I am currently undertaking the PCUTL course here at Cardiff.

Where did you live as a child? 

I lived in Cwmbran and although I have lived in Cardiff for 15 years I still think of the area in and around the Usk Valley as home.

What do you like best about Cardiff? 

Cardiff Bay, going for walks around Roath Park and Sophia Gardens, small villages like Rhiwbina and Whitchurch with lots of cute shops particularly Nest in Rhiwbina which has to be my favourite.

What did you do before you worked here? 

Studied!  My first job was in the Nursing and Healthcare Studies Library as a library assistant and I am still here….

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure? 

I am not sure about my first library book although my mum does have great pleasure in telling everyone that I used to loan my books out to friends when I was in junior school and tell them the date I wanted them back! I remember loving the Secret Seven and I too was a fan of the Sweet Valley High Series and also Mallory Towers

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic? 

The last book I read was The Thread by Victoria Hislop, a little slow to get into but once I did I was hooked.  The best books for me are the ones that I absolutely don’t want to put down and have to stop myself from being tempted to look ahead to see what happens.  I am definitely still a fan of hard copy although I am beginning to waver ever so slightly.

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library Service?

From a student’s perspective (I am doing the PCUTL course after all) 24 hour opening at the Health Library.  It’s a great environment to study in and if an assignment is looming there are far less distractions here than at home where even the prospect of cleaning the house seems a really good alternative….

Save

Save

Save