Meet the Staff – Lucy

meWhat is your name and job title?

I’m Lucy Collins and I’m the Subject Librarian for Dentistry. I’m based in the Brian Cooke Dental Library (which is tucked away on the 4th floor of the Dental Hospital).

What are your subject area interests?

I’m interested in finding innovative and effective ways of teaching information skills to students in the School of Dentistry. I seem to spend a lot of my time dealing with EndNote queries do I guess I’d have to add that to my list of interests!

What are your Qualifications?

I have a degree in Pharmacology, and I guess I got the the library bug whilst searching for information when I did my final year project which was a literature review on whether anti-epileptic drugs could cause brain damage. Several years later I did a postgrad diploma in Information and Library Studies at Aberystwyth University. I am currently taking part in Cardiff University’s PCUTL course having completed the first 20 credits and summoning up the energy to do the rest.

Where did you live as a child?

The Diff. More specifically Y Rhath.

What do you like best about Cardiff?

Its compact and bijou! I can be having a quiet night in in front of the tele and be out in town within half an hour of a receiving a text.

What did you do before you worked here?

Worked in pubs, shops, random office jobs, then a few different libraries including the old Duthie and Nursing and Healthcare Studies libraries.

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?SVH

I used to go to Penylan library lots as a kid with my mum and brothers. I can’t really remember what books I read back then. When I was a bit older and I was allowed to go to the library on my own (because that’s where the cool kids hang out!) I used read some awful books. These included such literary greats as the Point Horror series and the Sweet Valley High series.

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?

Well the Point Horror books gave me a taste for the macabre. I moved on to reading Stephen King and then HP Lovecraft but these days I veer towards fantasy and crime. I’m terrible for reading more than one book at a time – I’m currently reading the Hobbit and the second installation of A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings. I go for hard copy mostly, but I do like the Classicly app on my phone. You can download out-of-copyright material, for example Bram Stoker’s Dracula (which is the third book I’m re-reading at the moment).

Give an instance of one of your most interesting library related queries.

Whilst working in the Duthie Library a medical student asked me if we had the skull of the elephant man in the library. I hadn’t been working there for long so there was a small part of me that thought we might have!

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library/ Service?

The view from the Dental Library. The teaching facilities at the Cochrane building (I’m not at all jealous!) where I contribute to the provision of drop in sessions and Managing the Evidence training.