Meet the Staff Nick Thorogood

~3969037What is your name and job title?
Nick Thorogood, Senior IT Technician

What are your subject area interests?
My degree was far more theoretical than technical looking at Project Management and Strategy of systems and how we use them within Business. I’m certainly utilising some of these skills in my current role but I’m hoping to get started with my Prince2 Qualification in Project Management soon.

What are your Qualifications?
BA (Hons) Business Information Systems

Where did you live as a child?
Cardiff Born Cardiff Bred!

What do you like best about Cardiff?
I think Cardiff has a lot to offer people but being an avid sports fan I don’t know of many places where you can walk out of a great place like the Millennium Stadium straight into the City centre! What an atmosphere that makes for on match days especially during the Six Nations!

What did you do before you worked here?
Other than temp work after finishing University in 2007 this is my first job!

What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?
Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg… In a Dark Dark Street…

What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?
Although I’m a huge tech fan I’ve found the shift from hard copy to electronic a difficult one and still much prefer the feeling of reading a physical book! Either way at the moment I’m reading the Steve Jobs Biography and Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington. I’m also a fan of Andy McNab and Tom Clancy.

Give an instance of one of your most interesting query.
The beauty of working with technology is that its constantly changing which makes every bit of work we do different and therefore interesting. On the funny side though I was once asked if bleach would help someone clean their PC of a virus!?

What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library Service/IT?
I think the facilities for staff and students at the Health Library are probably among the best available within Cardiff University. The group study rooms rooms all with plasma screens are great for preparing those group presentations or simply revising. Not to mention the digital signage screens and wireless coverage available throughout the facility! I think best of all are those beanbags on the ground floor, would anyone notice if I had one in the office!?