Meet the Staff Rowland

RowlandWhat is your name and job title?
Rowland Somers, Subject Librarian,Medicine
What are your subject area interests?
Using major medical and healthcare databases like Medline, Embase, PsycINFO, the Cochrane Library and others with healthcare components,e.g. Web of Science and Scopus; EndNote Web; Keeping-research-up-to-date; History of Medicine.

What are your Qualifications?
BA Hons Politics; Diploma in Librarianship; Certificate in Medical Education.
Where did you live as a child?
Cowbridge and Llanblethian,the latter specifically though the one runs into the other,so I always think of them as the same.
What do you like best about Cardiff?
Well,Cardiff Bay looks very pleasant on those rare days when the sun shines; Chapter Arts Centre has a good mixture of cinema,some recent films but retrospectives of major directors too; plenty of parks to walk in; lots of live music; well-served with public transport.
What did you do before you worked here?
It’s a long time ago but I worked at Bangor University and the London Chamber of Commerce (library/information posts) before Cardiff.
What was the first library book you remember reading for pleasure?
Cowbridge didn’t have a public library until the mid-seventies but I recall joining Cardiff Central Library in 1968/9. My father suggested I borrow the complete Sherlock Holmes stories and novels; he thought I might enjoy them; I did.
What do you enjoy reading now? Hard copy or electronic?
I read a mixture of fiction, history and biography in hard copy though one of the beneficial consequences of e-books is that publishers lavish more attention now on the physical appearance of print books.
Give an instance of one of your most interesting query.
I remember helping someone with a search into the literature about post-traumatic stress disorder in Gulf War veterans.
What do you like best about Cardiff Uni Health Library Service?
I do a fair amount of teaching and the Health Library’s teaching labs are a substantial advance on what was available before our move from the main hospital building. I’m also pleased we’re now able to offer medical and nursing staff and students a modern, purpose-built and pleasant environment in which to study.

Save