Research Staff Away Day – March 4th 201912 February 2019
10am – 5pm, Techniquest, Cardiff Bay
From Amy & Angharad (RSG Co-chairs) – On behalf of the Research Staff group, we would like to invite you to join us for the 2019 Research Staff Away Day. This year we have the use of Techniquest for the day with an event to highlight ways in which we communicate our research. Activities and guest speakers will cover a range of topics including research flash talks (please let us know if you would like to speak), communicating with public media, and effective outreach… plus much more!
This event is aimed at highlighting the different ways in which we communicate our research. Through the planned activities we are aiming to create a relaxed environment, which will allow people to talk to colleagues that they do not normally meet and hopefully come up with new ideas and collaborations. It also serves as a means to celebrate the excellent research that is done by research staff across the school.
Getting to know each other:
One of our key aims is to address the fact that most of us feel that although we interact with other staff in our immediate groups, we don’t often meet people outside our own divisions. We will include formal and informal ways for people to talk to one another:
- Pecha Kucha style research flash talks – think outside the box about how you communicate your research!
- Public engagement activities – try out Techniquest exhibits and bring along your own to get expert and peer feedback.
- Image competition – vote on your favourite Biosciences research images.
- Academic “speed dating” – learn about colleagues’ research across divisions and perhaps make new collaborations that you never thought of!
- FAMILY FRIENDLY SOCIAL – 3-5pm bring along partners and/or children to socialise and enjoy the Techniquest exhibits (please select partner/family ticket below)
Opportunities and Support:
Our second aim is to communicate opportunities that are available to researchers and to develop a supportive community to share ideas and experiences:
- Invited guest speaker will cover topics including: public engagement & the Nuffield scheme, Welsh Crucible, communicating research to the public media, RSG blog, Postdoc Academy
- Lunchtime drop-in sessions: technology hubs, professional/staff profile photographs, CUROP (summer student scheme)
- Q & A with CU Biosiences senior management – have your say on our place within the school community and future support for research staff
The full schedule for the day is shown below:-
This event is open to all postdocs, fellows, RAs and technicians in Biosciences.