2nd Annual Post-doc Seedcorn Fund12 May 2016
The Biosi Research Staff Group are pleased to be able to announce the call for applications for the 2nd Annual Post-doc Seedcorn Fund. There are up to 6 grants of up to £2,000 each available, and it is open to all post-docs within Cardiff University School of Biosciences who have more than 2 years experience.
The aim of this School of Biosi funded scheme, is to give Post-docs the opportunity to develop their grant writing skills and further their independent research portfolio. It is hoped that the grant would enable the recipient to produce preliminary data suitable for a fellowship application.
This scheme was initiated last year and was really well received :
“The process of putting together a successful funding application has already had its benefits, boosting my confidence about the process of grant writing” – Dr Karen Reed, 2015 Seedcorn fund recipient
“The whole process of applying and receiving the seedcorn fund has cemented my belief that my ideas are in fact good ones and worth pursuing/developing for future grant applications” – Dr Sean Poranzinski, 2015 Seedcorn fund recipient
The key criteria are :
- The work cannot take too much time out of your current contract and so must be able to be completed within 35 hours (which can be spread out across several months)
- More than 2 years post-doc experience
- The money must be spent by the end of June 2016
- The work should aim to gain data to develop your independent research career, i.e. producing preliminary data for an identified fellowship application
- Applications must be supported by your line manager
The application form is attached and applications must be sent to me (email@example.com) by the deadline 8th June. They will then be assessed by the BIOSI Research Staff Group committee (led by Prof Ros John), who will act as the Seedcorn fund grant panel, and allocated on the 15th June.
If you have any questions about the seedcorn fund or would like to be part of the grant panel then please get in touch.
To obtain an application form follow one of these two routes:
A Microsoft Word document version of the form can be obtained by emailing Maddy Young ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Andrew Hollins ( email@example.com )