University Research Fellow in Synthetic Organic Chemistry – CV
School of Chemistry, Cardiff University, Cardiff
Louis was born in Wick (22/05/87) on the north coast of Scotland and obtained a MChem degree (1st Class Honours) from the University of St Andrews, including a one-year industrial placement at AstraZeneca (Charnwood). He completed his Masters research project in 2010 with Professor Andrew Smith, investigating Lewis base catalysed acyl transfer processes.
Staying at St Andrews, he completed his PhD under the direction of Professor Andrew Smith, producing a thesis entitled “Organocatalytic Functionalisation of Carboxylic Acids Using Isothioureas”, funded by a prestigious Carnegie-Caledonian Scholarship (2010-2014). This work expanded the utility of isothioureas in Lewis base catalysis, demonstrating the first intermolecular bond-forming reaction of carboxylic acid-derived C(1)-ammonium enolates.
For his postdoctoral research (and a change in weather!), he moved to UC Berkeley to join the research group of Professor Richmond Sarpong, entering the world of complex molecule synthesis. Specifically, he was involved in developing highly efficient and concise total syntheses of complex diterpenoid alkaloid natural products.
In June 2015, he was appointed as a University Research Fellow in Synthetic Organic Chemistry at Cardiff University to begin his independent research career.
- Year 1 – Foundations of Organic and Biological Chemistry: Substitution and Elimination Reactions (Lecture Notes – Part 1 and Part 2)
- Year 4 – Asymmetric Synthesis of Pharmaceuticals and Natural Products: Organocatalysis (Lecture Notes)
- MRes – Recent Advances in Homogeneous Catalysis: Organocatalysis CDT Workshop (Lecture Notes)
- Nominated for Enriching Student Life Awards – Most Effective Teacher (2017), Most Uplifting Member of Staff (2018) and Personal Tutor of the Year (2018)
- Carnegie Trust PhD Scholarship (2010-2014)
- Syngenta Postgraduate Scholarship (2012)
- Miller Prize (2010) – Highest Achieving Student in the Faculty of Science, St Andrews University
- Irvine Jubilee Prize (2010) – Highest Achieving Student in Honours Chemistry, St Andrews University
- F. D. Gunstone Prize (2010) – Best MChem Organic Chemistry Project, St Andrews University
- UNICAMP International Research Workshop, 5-9th March 2018, Campinas, Brazil.
- Departmental Seminar, 16th February 2018, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany.
- RSC Organic Division South West Regional Meeting, 17th January 2018, University of Bristol, UK.
- Departmental Seminar, 3rd November 2017, Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- Xiamen International Research Workshop, 18-22nd September 2017, Xiamen, China.
- Gregynog Synthesis Workshop, 13-15th September 2017, Newtown, UK.
- Enabling Technologies for Synthesis DaM Event, 4-5th September 2017, Loughborough University, UK.
- Departmental Seminar, 23rd June 2017, The University of Manchester, UK.
- Supporting Synthesis & Self-Assembly DaM ECR Event, 19-20th June 2017, Liverpool, UK.
- 253rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, 4th April 2017, San Francisco, USA.
- 253rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, 3rd April 2017, San Francisco, USA.
- Departmental Seminar, 31st March 2017, Theravance Biopharma, San Francisco, USA.
- Departmental Seminar, 23rd February 2017, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 15th Cardiff Chemistry Conference, 9-10th May 2016, Cardiff, UK.
- 3rd Molecular Synthesis Section Meeting, 14th April 2016, Cardiff, UK.
- Gregynog Synthesis Workshop, 9-11th September 2015, Newtown, UK.
- IX J-NOST Conference, 4-6th December 2013, IISER Bhopal, India.
- St Andrews Final Year PhD Symposium, 5th September 2013, St Andrews University, UK.
- 23rd International Symposium: Synthesis in Organic Chemistry, 22-25th July 2013, Oxford University, UK.
- 14th Tetrahedron Conference, 25-28th June 2013, Vienna, Austria.
- 24th Regional Postgraduate Symposia on Novel Organic Chemistry (SCI), 16th April 2013, Dundee University, UK.
- 41st RSC Scottish Regional Organic Division Meeting, 12th December 2012, St Andrews University, UK.
- Syngenta Postgraduate Scholarship Awards Meeting, 11th December 2012, Jealott’s Hill Research Centre, Bracknell, UK.
- RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium, 3rd December 2012, Burlington House, London, UK.
- ISACS7: Challenges in Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology, 12-15th June 2012, Edinburgh University, UK.
- Lilly Organic Chemistry Postgraduate Prize Day, 3rd October 2011, Erl Wood Manor, Windlesham, UK.