David Moseley, Internship Officer for our Work Experience team shares his thoughts on why students should do work experience …
With the job market as competitive as it’s ever been, it’s tough making yourself stand out from the crowd. Having experienced first-hand the difference that work experience can make to job hunting, we have complied a list of reasons as to why it’s something to consider.
Those who carryout work experience as an undergraduate (here’s your 10 reasons why you should do it!)…
1. Tend to have more to talk about at an interview/ on an application form.
2. Seem to be more appealing to future employers as the experience supplements academic success.
3. Can demonstrate true commitment and passion towards their chosen career.
4. Have a better idea of what the career they have chosen involves.
5. Gain so much more than just experience e.g. changes in confidence and body language.
6. Have greater understanding of teamwork and interpersonal skills in the workplace.
7. Tend to have more contacts to tap into to get their graduate job.
8. Have a better understanding of work place etiquette and work culture.
9. Seem to be less afraid of career changing several years after graduation.
10. May have road tested a future employer!
AND, one more … how else can you “try before you buy”, without the formalities of the employer /employee contract!
Here are some news stories highlighting my views:
Why not come along to our Work Experience Fair on February 26th 2015 and MEET some of the employers offering work experience.
Internship Officer, Work Experience Team
Careers & Employability
Your Student Life, Supported