Health and Wellbeing, Winter survival guide

Winter survival guide: Information, advice and guidance for students

With the holidays fast approaching, our winter survival guide is here to provide information, advice and guidance for Cardiff University students.

Whatever your plans over the winter recess, we have created a series of blogs to help give you some fun ideas on what to do and offer practical advice on your wellbeing during the holidays.

Scroll further down for information on opening times and study spaces.


Our winter survival guide includes:

Staying safe over the holidays

Stay drink aware this festive season

Winter study tips

Things to do in Cardiff over the holidays

Estranged from your family this winter?

Staying in Cardiff over the holidays and feeling homesick?

Why Christmas time can escalate relationship abuse and how to get support if you are affected


Student Support Centres’ Opening Times

Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, 51 Park Place, the Students’ Union and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

The Student Support Centre on 50 Park Place and Student Support at the Students’ Union will close for the afternoon from 12:00 on Thursday 20 December 2018, and re-open on Friday 21 December 2018, 09:00-16:00. Both services will be closed from Monday 24 December 2018 – Tuesday 1 January 2019, and will re-open on Wednesday 2 January 2019 at 09:00.

The Student Support Centre at Heath campus will close at 11:30 on Thursday 21 December 2018 and re-open on Tuesday 2 January 2019 at 09:00.

Find out more about Student Support


Library Opening Times

The following Cardiff University libraries and IT rooms will be open 24/7 throughout the Christmas and New Year period:


Urgent Advice and Emergency Contacts

If a situation arises where you or someone close to you needs urgent help or support there are a number of options open to you.

If a situation arises where you or someone close to you needs urgent help or support there are a number of options open to you.

Situation Action Examples
Emergency Call 999

Request an ambulance and/or police.

Provide as much relevant information as possible to the operator.

If you are in halls of residence or are on campus please inform University Security (24 hour line) 029 2087 4444 of the current situation and any actions taken.

You need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency.

You might think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service.

You’re not sure who to call. You need health information or reassurance about what to do next.

Call NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47

You can also get information from the NHS Direct Wales website.

You can also call your GP and they should be able to offer advice.

Out of usual working hours you may be given the number for your local out-of-hours GP service.

Support Call Counselling, Health and Wellbeing on 029 2087 4966 for help and advice, Monday to Friday between 09:00-16:30.

Come to a Wellbeing Walk-in.

Visit our Concerned About a Student information page for further advice

See the list below for other useful support.

Other useful support

1 in 3 calls to Samaritans on Christmas Day are from people who feel lonely and isolated. It doesn’t matter who you are, how you feel, or what has happened. If you feel that things are getting to you, get in touch.  If you want to talk to someone in confidence, the Samaritans are available in the Arts and Social Sciences Library ground floor on Thursday 20 and 27 December and 3 January from 18:00 – 21:00. They are also available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, call 116 123. This number is FREE to call.

Service Telephone Opening hours

Talk about anything that is bothering you. This student-led service is based in the Cardiff University Students’ Union.

029 2087 0555 20:00-08:00, seven days a week, during term-time

Crisis support service where you can talk about anything that’s bothering you.

116 123 (free)

Find out if a local branch has a number.

link to Jo’s page
Mind infoline

This service can help you find local support, as well provides information about mental health problems and treatments.

0300 123 3393 (national)

029 2040 2040 (local)

Monday to Friday, 09:00-18:00
Students’ Union Advice Centre

Provides advice and information, advocacy, representation and support through a free, confidential, impartial and independent service to the members of the Students’ Union.

029 2078 1410

or visit the 3rd floor, Cardiff University Students’ Union

Monday to Friday, 10:00-16:00
Victim Support

Support if you have been affected by crime.

Free, confidential and available to anyone in
England and Wales, regardless of whether the crime has been reported or how long ago it happened.

08 08 16 89 111 Monday to Friday, 20:00-08:00

Saturday and Sunday, 24 hour service

National Domestic Violence Helpline

Are you experiencing domestic violence? Do you know of someone who is experiencing abuse and may need help and support?

The freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.

0808 2000 247 24 hours a day, seven days a week
link to Amy’s page
Meningitis now

For questions about meningitis or meningococcal septicaemia.

You can also talk things through or find out more about the support offered.

0808 80 10 388

or via email

Every day, 09:00 to 20:00
Cruse Bereavement Care

Free confidential support for adults and children following a bereavement.

0808 808 1677

or via email

Monday to Friday, 09:30-17:00 (excluding bank holidays)

Extended hours on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings, until 20:00.


Happy holidays everyone!


Best wishes, 

Cardiff University Student Support and Wellbeing. 
Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply